Craving some curry? We’ve got the solution with just the right recipe to satisfy your craving with this Thai Green Prawn Curry. Packed with fresh and spicy healthy flavours, this is a must-have immune boost for the whole family.
Prepping The Prawns
The first step to prepping your prawns is to peel and devein them. Deveining prawns is not actually a mandatory step, however, if you choose to leave the vein, it can affect the taste of your curry. Leaving the vein in can give the prawn a crunchier texture than desired, and can also ruin the naturally sweet taste of a prawn.
Classic Prawn Curry Ingredients
The ingredient list for this green prawn curry is quite intimidating, we’re not going to lie. But as you read through the list, you’ll just get more and more excited by all the wonderful flavours that will blend so well together.
Start by building your curry base by adding coconut milk and water into a wok. Then you add your vegetables and spices. The spices are of course key in this recipe if you want flavours to really pop. The trick is to beautifully blend the fresh ingredients with the richer flavours while making sure that the spice flavours don’t overwhelm the rest of the ingredients. However, if you are a big fan of the spice, feel free to add more!
The best thing about this green prawn curry recipe is that the ingredient list is almost longer than what it takes to cook! You’ll have dinner ready in a mere 35 minutes. And, if you’re good at multi-tasking in the kitchen, this is the perfect amount of time to cook up a batch of rice to serve with the curry.
Those curry cravings still not leaving you? Check out our Spicy Beef Curry with Chutney and Coconut recipe for some more curry inspiration!
- 500 g prawns medium to small
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1-3 tbsp green curry paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 6 curry leaves dried or fresh
- 100 g green beans sliced in two (optional)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp grated lime rind
- 2-3 red or green chilies fresh or dried
- 2 stalks lemongrass trim the base, remove the rough outer layers, and finely slice the white interior
- 2 tbsp petit peas frozen
- 1 red and yellow pepper deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves destemmed
- bamboo shoots optional
- Peel the prawns, if you wish to, leave the tails intact. Cut down the back and devein. Set aside.
- Using a wok or heavy-based pan, bring the coconut milk and water to medium heat and add the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, curry paste, kaffir lime leaves, red pepper, peas, chilies and beans, mix well.
- Bring the coconut and ingredients to a boil until slightly thickened.
- When beans are almost cooked but still firm, add the prawns and simmer for about 5 minutes or until prawns are pink in colour.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, lime rind, and sugar. Taste the curry, season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.