Boris Johnson is to be investigated by Parliament’s sleaze watchdog over his £15,000 winter break to the Caribbean, according to reports.
The Prime Minister and his partner Carrie Symonds accepted accommodation for a private break in St Vincent and the Grenadines as a post-election victory escape.
But confusion reigned after Mr Johnson declared in the register of MPs’ interests that he had accepted “accommodation for a private holiday for my partner and me, value £15,000”, citing businessman David Ross as the provider.
A spokesman for Mr Ross then denied that the co-founder of the Carphone Warehouse had stumped up any money.
But the Conservative Party donor’s spokesman later clarified his stance, agreeing it was a “benefit in kind” to the PM and Ms Symonds during their private break to the island of Mustique.
The Observer said the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, Kathryn Stone, decided to pursue an official inquiry into Mr Johnson on Wednesday, and has requested information from the PM and Mr Ross.
It follows calls from Labour for an inquiry into how the PM came to enjoy the free provision of a five-figure villa.
In a letter to the commissioner last month, shadow Cabinet Office minister Jon Trickett said: “The Code of Conduct requires members to provide the name of the person or organisation that actually funded a donation.
“The evidence now suggests it was not David Ross. The entry made by the Prime Minister therefore appears to be incorrect.”
The trip provided Mr Johnson with a break after the election campaign, which produced a Conservative landslide for the first time since the 1980s.
But he faced criticism for failing to cut the festive holiday short when international tensions rose after the US killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani on January 3.
The Commissioner would investigate whether Mr Johnson has broken the MPs’ code of conduct, and forward any findings onto the Committee on Standards which would review the evidence and, if appropriate, recommend a penalty.
Mr Johnson and Ms Symonds announced last week that they became engaged at the end of 2019, and are expecting a baby early this summer.
Downing Street declined to comment.
Since you are here
Since you are here, we wanted to ask for your help.
Journalism in Britain is under threat. The government is becoming increasingly authoritarian and our media is run by a handful of billionaires, most of whom reside overseas and all of them have strong political allegiances and financial motivations.
Our mission is to hold the powerful to account. It is vital that free media is allowed to exist to expose hypocrisy, corruption, wrongdoing and abuse of power. But we can't do it without you.
If you can afford to contribute a small donation to the site it will help us to continue our work in the best interests of the public. We only ask you to donate what you can afford, with an option to cancel your subscription at any point.
To donate or subscribe to The London Economic, click here.
The TLE shop is also now open, with all profits going to supporting our work.
The shop can be found here.
You can also SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER .