• Privacy policy
  • T&C’s
  • About Us
    • FAQ
  • Contact us
  • Guest Content
  • TLE
  • News
  • Politics
  • Opinion
    • Elevenses
  • Business
  • Food
  • Travel
  • Property
  • JOBS
  • All
    • All Entertainment
    • Film
    • Sport
    • Tech/Auto
    • Lifestyle
    • Lottery Results
      • Lotto
      • Set For Life
      • Thunderball
      • EuroMillions
No Result
View All Result
The London Economic
SUPPORT THE LONDON ECONOMIC
NEWSLETTER
The London Economic
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Big Ben bong bid set for defeat

Boris Johnson had suggested a public fundraising drive to pay for the bell to ring to mark Brexit.

Joe Mellor by Joe Mellor
2020-01-16 13:45
in Politics
Big Ben

Big Ben repairs (PA)

FacebookTwitterLinkedinEmailWhatsapp

Boris Johnson appears to have admitted defeat in his battle for Big Ben to bong for Brexit.

Downing Street said the Prime Minister was focusing on official plans to mark 11pm on January 31 as Government sources hit out at “intransigence” from the Commons authorities over the use of Parliament’s famous bell.

Tens of thousands of pounds have been pledged to meet the up to £500,000 cost of bringing the bell back into service to mark the end of the UK’s membership of the European Union.

The Prime Minister had previously said he was “working up a plan so people can bung a bob for a Big Ben bong” as the bell is currently silenced while renovations are carried out.

“However you may have voted in the Referendum, this unique moment is unlikely ever to be repeated and if you would like to see it marked by the chiming of the most iconic timepiece in the world, please do donate” Mark Francois MP and @BeccyRyan https://t.co/SsGIH95kSE

— #StandUp4Brexit (@StandUp4Brexit) January 16, 2020

But the Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “The House of Commons authorities have set out that there may be potential difficulties in accepting money from public donations.

Jan 31

“I think the PM’s focus is on the events which he and the Government are planning to mark January 31. It’s a significant moment in our history and we want to ensure that’s properly recorded.”

The House of Commons Commission said it would be an “unprecedented approach” to fund the cost through public donations and “any novel form of funding would need to be consistent with principles of propriety and proper oversight of public expenditure”.

Asked whether people should contribute to the appeal, the Prime Minister’s spokesman said: “I’m just reflecting that the Parliamentary authorities have set out some potential problems.

“Our focus is on the events that the Government are currently working on.”

RelatedPosts

Outgoing French PM speaks truth about nation’s debt spiral

Reform UK ‘picked dead woman from Bradford as Croydon mayoral candidate’

Reform’s Sarah Pochin blames ‘Labour bureaucracy’ for lake drying up

Kemi Badenoch proudly declares she’ll deport women and children

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle baulked at the idea of paying the cost of bringing the bell back into use, saying “you are talking about £50,000 a bong”.

But Brexiteer MP Mark Francois said the Prime Minister would be mad to back down now.

An appeal by the Stand Up 4 Brexit campaign had raised more than £80,000 by Thursday afternoon, while other smaller fundraising drives were also listed on the GoFundMe website.

Mr Francois said: “We launched this campaign at 7pm last night and by 12.30pm today we have raised just over £80,000, with donations, averaging £16 literally flooding in.

“As the Prime Minister effectively initiated this campaign live on TV two days ago, and as we are clearly going to hit the target, he would be mad to back away from it.”

Related – European MEPs send heartwarming messages as UK prepares to depart EU parliament

Subscribe to our Newsletter

View our  Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions

About Us

TheLondonEconomic.com – Open, accessible and accountable news, sport, culture and lifestyle.

Read more

SUPPORT

We do not charge or put articles behind a paywall. If you can, please show your appreciation for our free content by donating whatever you think is fair to help keep TLE growing and support real, independent, investigative journalism.

DONATE & SUPPORT

Contact

Editorial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Commercial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Address

The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE
Company number 09221879
International House,
24 Holborn Viaduct,
London EC1A 2BN,
United Kingdom

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

← Russia’s parliament approves Vladimir Putin’s choice for prime minister ← Cab union boss cleared of assault on police with noise from megaphone
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

-->