These homemade savoury tuna bread rolls are nutritious yet simple to make and will sort your busy household’s on-the-go snack or quick lunch needs in a jiffy. Not to mention the oohs and aahs when the smell of baking bread rolls fills the house.
Tuna bread rolls for a perfect picnic
The soft and pillowy rolls are the perfect variation of your usual tuna mayo sandwiches and are guaranteed to take your next picnic to gourmet heights or make for a great addition to any meal.
Easy does it
The super tasty filling is made from slightly spicy tuna, mayonnaise, cream cheese, zesty lemon juice and a decent helping of grated cheddar cheese. It is quite literally a melt-in-your-mouth experience!
To save some time and effort, use store-bought bread dough to make the rolls.
How to store tuna bread rolls
These tuna bread rolls are delicious to serve warm or at room temperature. Save any remaining rolls by wrapping them individually with cling wrap. They will keep well at room temperature for a day.
To keep them longer, place them in the fridge and warm them in the oven or microwave before serving.
This recipe is actually really versatile. Feel free to bulk up your tuna and mayonnaise filling with some sweet corn or even bacon.
- 1 packet of ready-made bread dough
- 2 x 170 g light shredded tuna
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated, plus extra for topping
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp seafood rub mix
- Smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C / 338 °F for fan and 180 ° C / 325 F for conventional oven, Prepare an oven dish with nonstick spray
- Add the softened cream cheese, chopped parsley, juice and zest of one lemon into a mixing bowl and mix until well combined and set aside
- In another bowl add the tuna, mayonnaise, seafood rub and grated cheddar cheese, season with salt and pepper, and mix until well combined
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface, roll it out, about 1.5cm in thickness then using a pallet knife or the back of a dessert spoon, spread the cream cheese mixture evenly onto the rolled-out dough
- Then spread the tuna mixture evenly over the cream cheese and roll the dough up, lengthwise into a long log shape
- Shape the roll to even thickness, then using a sharp knife, cut the log up into 2cm pieces
- Place the rolls into the baking tray, cover, allow to rise for about 20 minutes before topping with some more grated cheddar cheese, and sprinkle with paprika
- Place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until golden in color, depending on your oven, if you want it more golden bake for longer