By Jonathan Hatchman, Food Editor, @TLE_Food
Perfect for anybody looking to start the new year with a detox, those abstaining from alcohol for the month of Janaury, designated drivers, and even children: The Bloomsbury Hotel have a new range of non-alcoholic cocktails. Set up as a collaboration between Bar Manager Mathieu Gaudin and Henrietta Lovell – founder of Rare Tea Company – The Bloomsbury Bar’s ‘Tea Total Cocktail List’ features eight non-alcoholic drinks using Rare Tea Company’s finest tea leaves.
One of these drinks is the ‘Mintea Collins’, a riff on the classic Mint Collins, using a laborious peppermint tea infusion, honey, lemon and mint for a refreshing, guilt free tipple. Here’s the recipe.
‘Mintea Collins’ is part of the ‘Tea Total Cocktails’ list available at The Bloomsbury Hotel, which can be found at 16-22 Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3NN.
- 60 ml peppermint tea (20 hour infusion) from Rare Tea Company
- 15 ml organic heather honey
- 10 ml fresh-pressed lemon
- Lemon twist
- Fresh mint sprig
- Infuse 6g of Peppermint Tea in one litre of cold water for 20 hours
- Strain using a strainer
- Then re-strain using an unbleached coffee filter – this increases the shelf life of the tea
- Add 15ml of Organic Heather Honey and 10ml of Lemon Juice to 60ml of Peppermint Tea iced tea
- Shake and then strain into a Collins glass over ice, garnish with a lemon twist and fresh mint sprig