This melt-in-your-mouth dish is full of flavour and fiber, and is a healthy weeknight meal or a nutritious snack that is still so succulent and tasty. This Creamy Corn Stuffed Gem Squash with Green Beans is completely gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan due to the simple substitution of regular cheese with vegan cheese, but feel free to use the real thing.
Why Gem Squash?
Although it is thought to be a vegetable, gem squash is actually considered a fruit, and is a particularly healthy one. Gem squash is one of the most popular and healthy foods, with an ample amount of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin B and C, and beta-carotene. It has a high water and fiber content, and is low in calories. It is also available all year round!
When gem squash is cooked, it has the softest texture that just melts in your mouth. This, paired with creamed corn and melted cheese will deliver the creamiest texture and a rich flavor that is both savory and sweet. The sweetcorn also contributes to a lovely crunchy texture.
Enjoy this dish as a side for a meal or as a meal on its own with the addition of some more roasted veggies!
For the Creamy Corn Stuffed Gem Squash
- 150 g Tin Cream Style Corn
- 10 ml Olive Oil
- 50 g Frozen Corn
- 25 g White Onion
- 0.25 g Red Chilli Finely chopped
- 1 g Ground Cumin
- 1 g Ground Coriander
- 1 g Chive
- 1 Gem Squash Halved and cooked
- 30 g Vegan Cheddar Cheese
For the Green Beans
- 90 g Green Beans Top and tail
- 5 ml Olive Oil
- 1 g Fine Salt
- 1 g Fine Pepper
For the Creamy Corn Gem Squash
- Heat olive oil in a pan & fry onions until translucent.
- Add chilli, spices & blackened corn kernels to the onions. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add cream style corn & chives to the pan & stir through. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Place gem squash in pot of boiling water & steam until cooked. When cooked, remove from the pot & use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Discard seeds.
- Spoon the creamed corn mixture into the cooked gem squash halves & grated cheddar.
- Place under the grill & let cheese melt until golden & bubbly.
For the Green Beans
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic & blanched green beans. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add lemon juice & seasonings. Cook until liquid has evaporated.
RELATED: How To Make: Sweet Kiwi Lime Pie