Sometimes the cake craving grabs hold of us and just won’t let go. This is the perfect time to whip out the trusty “citrus cake infused with orange and lemon” recipe. You’ll have cake in under an hour and, technically, you’ll be eating fruit!
Let’s Get Baking
When baking a cake, it is always important to avoid two things: having a dry and dense cake. To create that perfect fluffy texture in a cake, the batter has to have enough air within it. So it is important to be precise with the recipe’s first step – mixing the butter and sugar together. Creaming these two ingredients together traps air in the cake batter, leading to that light, fluffy texture once the cake is baked.
The secret to producing a delicious, moist cake is to always use room temperature ingredients. This goes for the butter, the milk and the eggs. When the ingredients are room temperature, they will mix evenly and produce the best rise once the cake is in the oven.
Making The Syrup
The syrup is made with orange juice, which adds the perfect amount of zestiness and sweetness to the cake. Feel free to use bottled orange juice for the syrup. However, if you’re willing to make freshly squeezed orange juice, it will definitely add to the pungent citrus flavour of the cake. The trick with the syrup is to pour it over the hot cake so that it can seep through to the bottom.
Now you can have your cake and eat it too.
If your sour tastebuds have been awakened, be sure to check out our No-bake Lemon Cheesecake recipe.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp butter
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 176.667°C, Using a springform cake tin, spray with any non-stick cooking spray
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes
- Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed, then sift the flour and baking powder together
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients just until combined, with the mixer still running on low, pour in the milk and melted butter and mix just until combined
- You may need to whisk it all by hand to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl, the batter will be slightly runny, pour batter evenly into the springform pan
- Place in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes
Making the Syrup
- While the cake is in the oven, place the orange juice in a saucepan on medium heat, bring to the boil, add the butter and the cornflour that has been mixed with a little water to form a paste
- Slowly stir this into the orange juice stirring until the sauce is slightly thick, set aside to cool
- When the cake is ready, remove it from the springform pan, place it on the serving plate, using the back of a large spoon, slowly pour the sauce over the cake while it is warm