What’s more rewarding than enjoying something you have made? And this cheesy bread with beautifully fragrant herbs will be the ultimate treat.
Become the master of your own bread
The fun thing about this bread recipe is that you have a choice of flavour. We recommend using a herb mixture of mint, basil and thyme, for example. However, you should feel free to add whatever you like. Even some sneaky garlic would go deliciously with basically any herb mixture.
And the same goes for the cheese, which if we’re honest, is the most exciting component of this bread. Feel free to mix whatever kinds of cheese you prefer. However, keep in mind that not all cheeses will melt and blend in with the dough as others. Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese for example will work great for this bread.
And as you remake this recipe, you can start to experiment with what herb mixtures goes best with which cheese.
We know it’s hard, but always remember to only slice the bread once it has cooled. Otherwise, you run a very high risk of breaking the finished product as you slice.
And a great tip for keeping the bread fresh for as long as possible is to store it in a plastic bag. You can even slice the entire loaf up and store the slices in the bag for easy ac
- 80 ml cooking
- 80 ml milk
- 500 ml flour
- 250 ml grated strong cheddar cheese, you can mix two type of cheeses
- 10 ml baking powder
- 3 ml salt
- 125 ml mixed fresh herbs of your choice (Optional) (mint, basil and thyme)
- 2 large eggs
- extra cheese for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
- Prepare a small loaf pan of your choice with non-stick spray
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cooking oil milk and eggs together
- Place the bread mixture in a greased loaf tin of your choice.Mix all the dry ingredients together with the cheese, make a well in the middle and add oil and milk mixture
- Slowly mix in the flour until a firm dough is formed
- Place the bread mixture in a greased loaf tin of your choice.
- Sprinkle more cheese to form a golden crust.
- Bake for 1 hour, let it stand to cool off, then remove the bread.
- *Slice bread after it has cooled. Enjoy it with your favorite spreads. To keep the bread soft, store it in a plastic bag
RELATED: How To Make: Homemade Beer Bread