By Jonathan Hatchman, Food Editor, @TLE_Food
To tie in with National Margarita Day back in February, Patrón tequila launched a competition in the search of the Margarita of the Year. Taking the unique recipes from seven top bartenders across the United States and Mexico and encouraging fans of the drinks brand to vote, with the winner having been announced just in time for the Mexican Cinco de Mayo holiday. Eventually, the Rosa Picante Margarita from Jordan Corney of Bohanan’s Bar in San Antonio, Texas has crowned Margarita of the Year for 2016, combining Patrón silver tequila with lime juice, sugar and ginger syrup, jalapeño oil, and rose water. And to extend the Cinco de Mayo celebrations in to the weekend, the recipe has been shared in order for readers to recreate the drink at home.
Further information on Patrón’s Margarita of the Year can be found at margaritaoftheyear.com.
- 50 ml Patrón silver
- 20 ml fresh lime juice
- 15 ml simple syrup
- 15 ml ginger syrup
- 1/2 barspoon jalapeño oil or fresh jalapeño slice
- 2 dashes rose water
- Rose sea salt rim (optional)
- Rose petal (optional)
- Combine Patrón silver, lime juice, syrups and jalapeño oil in a shaker tin
- Add ice and shake until well chilled
- Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe half-rimmed with rose sea salt
- Top with a few dashes of rose water
- Garnish with a rose petal, if available