These Tandoori chicken drumsticks are a fantastic party snack. Either serve them as an appetizer or even as part of a whole meal. Either way, combined with the peach chutney, you won’t be able to get enough.
This delicious chicken dish is super fragrant with beautiful spices like cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric coming through. Remember to sauté the spices in a pan before adding them to the marinate. This will draw out the flavours of each spice and make the dish overall more flavourful and powerful. Once the marinade is prepared, try soaking the chicken for as long as possible. The longer the chicken is marinated, the tastier the flavours will be.
The History of Tandoori Chicken
Traditionally, Tandoori chicken is prepared by marinating the chicken in yoghurt and spices. From there the chicken is placed in a tandoor, a cylindrical clay oven. This method of cooking chicken originated in the Punjab region of India.
With this recipe, you can choose whether you want the skin on or off the drumsticks. In the case that you keep the skin on, remember to pat the chicken dry before marinating it. This will ensure that the skin comes out nice and crispy and the meat will be juicy and tender.
- 12 or more chicken drumsticks If using more drumsticks, double the ingredients accordingly
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp masala anyone, the meat masala will work too or substitute with curry
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ cup cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped ginger
- 8 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 lime zest the juice should be about 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup oil
- peach chutney
- few sprigs of fresh coriander for garnishing
- Lime wedges to serve
- If you want to remove the skin of the drumsticks, grasp the meaty end of the drumstick. Pull the skin down and off the end. When you're finished with the pieces, make sure to wash your hands to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- In a small saucepan, heat all the spices on medium heat so that they can saute for a few minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Add all the spices to a blender with the yogurt, lime zest and juice, process to almost smooth.
- Using a sharp knife, make about 2 slashes in every chicken drumstick.
- Place the drumstick in a large bowl and toss with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 220° C / 450° F (less heat for fan ovens).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and place a rack over the top. Spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange the chicken on the rack, leaving a bit of space between. Add the leftover marinade to the chicken drumsticks. Roast for about 45 minutes, turn the drumsticks and place them under the grill for about 4 to 6 minutes.
- *Serve with peach chutney and salads.