Spruce up your brunch ideas with these delicious mini pitas served with tenderised steak. Top it off with a homemade sauce that will awaken all your tastebuds.
Tenderise your steak
For this recipe, you will be needing 300 g of steak. For the best result when cooking, you will need to tenderise the meat. One of the ways of doing this is by pounding the meat with a meat mallet. If you do not have a mallet, you can use the flat side of a pan. Pounding the meat not only makes it more tender, but it also makes the piece of steak the same size. This way, all the steak will cook evenly.
Tip for the perfect steak
Before applying your seasoning to the meat, first, pat your steak dry. If the meat is dry on the outside, a crispier skin will form. All the moisture and flavour will stay on the inside, resulting in a tasty tender steak.
A drizzle of sauce
The homemade sauce served with the steak pita almost has an Asian-like flavour to it. And all you need to make this interesting flavour fusion is:
- Plain yogurt
- Soya sauce
- Peppadew, pepper and ginger relish
Once you have assembled your pitas, drizzle a generous amount of sauce and garnish with fresh coriander.
- 12 ready-made mini Pita Bread
- 300 g tenderized steak
- olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 onion sliced
- 100 g sliced sundried tomatoes
- small hand full of coriander half chopped and rest for garnishing
- salt and pepper To taste
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 150 g plain yogurt
- 30 ml light soya sauce
- peppadew piquant pepper and ginger relish
- Apply the seasoning on both sides of the meat.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan until hot. add a tablespoon of butter.
- Place the meat in the hot oil and butter, add the onions and let it cook for about 10 mins until both sides of the steak are golden brown. ensuring the onions are not burnt in the process. Cherry tomatoes should be added halfway through the cooking for a delicious and tasty sauce.
- Heat the mini pitas as instructed on the packet.
- Mix the yogurt and soy sauce.
- Slice the steak.
- Slice 1/4 of the pita off the top and open gently. Stuff each pita with 1/2 with slices of steak, jalapenos, and juicy sundried tomatoes. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle the sauce over the top, garnish with grilled tomatoes, coriander, and serve.