This lemon butter chicken bake gives new meaning to the saying, “easy peasy lemon squeezy”. The simplicity of this recipe and the delicious lemon-butter sauce is sure to become an instant family favourite for no-fuss weeknight dinners.
The lemon butter chicken bake makes for an irresistible one-pan dinner and the only “effort” is having to wait for this tasty dish to bake in the oven while the aroma of the butter and lemon fill your kitchen.
These tender, juicy chicken thighs “zing” with fresh lemon flavour. Cooking the lemon halves in the pan just gives this lemon butter chicken recipe that extra zest that really makes the flavours pop.
The butter makes this sauce rich and surprisingly creamy. As butter is one of the key ingredients, opt for a high-quality one.
Lemon butter chicken pairs beautifully mashed potatoes, steamed rice or roasted vegetables. And of course, a warm baguette to mop up the finger-licking good sauce!
- For variation, add a splash of white wine to the sauce. You can also add some smoked paprika for a delicious subtle smokiness.
- Cook some vegetables, such as asparagus, green beans or broccoli in the sauce right alongside the chicken!
- You can use the leftover chicken to make a zesty chicken salad the next day.
- 2 kg chicken pieces
- 2 lemons sliced in halves
- 100 ml butter at room temperature
- Rub each piece of chicken generously with butter
- Season well with salt
- Place your chicken in a greased ovenproof dish
- Squeeze 1 lemon over the chicken
- Place the lemon halves between the chicken pieces
- Preheat the oven to160°C and place dish in oven
- Bake for 1 hour uncovered
- Remove from the oven and squeeze remaining lemon over the chicken
- Let the dish rest for 10 minutes