No one can resist these rich, sticky and sweet butternut fritters with caramel sauce! Whip these melt-in-your-mouth bites together in only 40 minutes and watch this family favourite disappear in a flash…This is also the perfect way to sneak vegetables onto the plates of even the most veggie-averse eaters.
The fritters are traditionally prepared with pumpkin, but for this recipe, butternut has been used as it provides a firmer consistency.
The batter is incredibly simple to make. Flour and baking powder are mixed with butternut puree and egg to form a smooth, thick batter. Spoonfuls of the batter are fried until golden and crisp before being drenched in the delicious caramel sauce.
As a variation of the sweet caramel sauce, you could also add a pinch of salt flakes for a salted caramel sauce which will complement the taste of the butternut fritters.
You could also roll the butternut fritters in cinnamon sugar with a squeeze of some lemon juice. You decide.
Although this comforting recipe is usually associated with cold winter weather, these fritters are the perfect side dish to add to any meal — or even serve up as dessert after a satisfying Sunday lunch!
- 2 medium cooked butternuts (cubed and mashed afterwards)
- 375 ml flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml butter
- 100 ml brown sugar
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- Mix the butternut, eggs, flour and baking powder.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan to a medium heat.
- Scoop spoonfuls (not more than four at a time) in the pan.
- When it is cooked halfway through, turn it over.
- When golden brown, place on kitchen towel paper to remove excess oil.
- Place in an oven dish.
- Repeat until batter is finished.
- Replenish oil if needed.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and add the sugar and vanilla.
- Cook on medium heat until a thick sauce is formed.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the fritters.
- Place in a medium preheated oven for 10 minutes before serving.
RELATED: How To Make: Easy Chicken Casserole