This easy chicken casserole is packed with hearty goodness and a delicious sweet and savory flavour combination. The bell peppers, garlic, onion, Worcester sauce, chutney and sweet chilli sauce make for a simple yet very tasty casserole that will soon become a firm family favourite in your house.
It is also the perfect recipe to meal prep ahead for a quick weeknight dinner. Save even some more time by using left-over chicken or a cooked rotisserie chicken. Just remove the skin and bones and shred the chicken before adding to the sauce. As easy as that…
A good idea is to double the recipe when you make this chicken casserole. Bake one and freeze one for later! You can freeze the casserole baked or unbaked. To bake the casserole after freezing, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as directed in the recipe.
For the ultimate in comfort food, serve this chicken casserole over rice, pasta or mashed potato.
- Add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese in with the chicken mixture to make a cheesy chicken casserole.
- You can add a handful or two of cooked lentils or quinoa as they’re both a healthy and low-cost source of extra protein. Simply mix them in for the last five minutes of cooking.
- 2 kg chicken pieces
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 15 ml butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 175 ml tomato sauce
- 15 ml Worcester sauce
- 50 ml chutney
- 80 ml sweet chilli sauce (optional but recommended)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Place the chicken pieces in an ovenproof casserole dish. Salt to taste and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil and butter.
- Saute the onions, garlic and peppers until soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chicken pieces.
- Bake, uncovered, for one hour.
RELATED: How To Make: Prawn Penne Pasta