This country-style cabbage bake is a hearty budget-friendly side dish for meat (especially pork roast or pork chops) or chicken. It combines cheddar cheese, bacon, eggs and savory spices with cabbage as the foundation: The perfect veggie dish for the busy mom who simply do not have the time or energy to cook separate meals for the children.
The humble cabbage has an impressive nutrient profile and is very low in calories. In addition to being rich in vitamins (especially vitamin C) and minerals, cabbage is high in soluble fibre, pre-biotics and contains powerful antioxidants. According to Healthline, vegetables like cabbage contain many different antioxidants that have been shown to reduce chronic inflammation.
And take our word for it, this lightly cooked cabbage, crispy bacon and cheese bake will even win over the hearts of those who are not big cabbage fans. Warning: It’s addictive!
This layered bacon and cheese cabbage bake is comfort food at its best. To make a complete light meal of your cabbage bake, increase the amount of bacon and serve on a bed of steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
You can easily keep this cabbage bake vegetarian by eliminating the bacon.
- 500 g bacon diced
- 1 cabbage (whole leaves separated)
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Grease an oven dish.
- In a saucepan, boil water.
- Place the cabbage leaves in the water for only three minutes. Repeat until all the leaves has been done.
- In a bowl, mix the bacon, eggs, garlic and parsley. Add the flour and milk.
- Place your oven dish empty in the hot oven for three minutes.
- Remove from the oven and start layering, starting with the bacon mixture.
- Repeat until top layer is mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes.