Enjoy these easy-to-make shrimp skewers grilled on the BBQ (or a grill pan) with a delicious Asian-style marinade of chilli, ginger, coriander and soy sauce.
The addition of honey makes the marinade caramelise over the shrimp and this slightly sweet taste pairs wonderfully with the smokiness from the grill and the bite of chilli. An amazing flavour burst!
These sweet, sticky and mildly spicy Asian-inspired shrimp skewers also make for the perfect platter food as you welcome summer at the pool or a picnic with family or friends.
You can baste the shrimp with the sweet chilli marinade or simply marinate them for about 10 minutes before they hit the grill. Make sure that you grill the Asian-inspired shrimp skewers over high heat until just cooked. Do not overcook or the shrimp will become rubbery. This will only take about two minutes per side, depending on how big the shrimp are.
Alternatively, one could also prepare the marinated shrimp quickly in a skillet.
- Turn these Asian-inspired shrimp skewers into a tasty lunch by dishing it up with a scrumptious salad made from cashew, nuts, cabbage (red and green), carrots and mange tout or crunchy broccoli.
- 24 medium bamboo skewers
- 400 gram medium-sized shrimp
- 2 grated garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 chopped chilli
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 30 ml soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of fresh coriander
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- lemon slices
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, mix the garlic, ginger, honey, chili and soy sauce and simmer on a low heat.
- Thread about five shrimps per skewer.
- Heat a grill pan over medium to high heat.
- Brush the grill with the oil.
- Place the skewers on the grill and brush with the marinade.
- Grill for two minutes then flip the skewers.
- Brush generously with the marinade.
- Grill for another two minutes.
- Remove from the grill and drizzle with remaining glaze.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
RELATED: How To Make: Bovril Cake