Try this fish curry baked in the oven recipe to spruce up your go-to curry method. Same delicious taste, just with a twist.
What type of fish to use
For this specific curry recipe, you will need 2x 500g whitefish portions. They can be fresh or frozen, as long as they are skinless and deboned. Whitefish generally has a slightly sweeter taste which works beautifully when infused with the different flavours from the curry. Examples of whitefish include hake, haddock, and snapper.
The flavour of curry
No curry is complete without adding curry powder to it. The main ingredients in a curry powder are usually spices like coriander, turmeric, cumin and chilli peppers. These powders are great because it allows all the flavour of the different spices, without having to buy all the spices individually.
You can regulate the level of spice in the fish curry by limiting the amount of curry powder and sriracha wasabi sauce you add. If you would like a bit more bite to the curry, feel free to add more powder or sriracha sauce.
By adding bay leaves, a peppery and almost minty flavour is introduced to the curry. The bay leaves also bring a subtle bitterness to the curry to ensure that it doesn’t taste too heavy.
Once the curry is baked in the oven and refrigerated, the consistency will be a bit more firm. This will make it easy to dish up.
- 2x 500 g fresh or frozen white fish portions skinless and deboned
- 750 ml Brown vinegar
- 350 ml water
- 4 – 5 large onions sliced thinly
- 8 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp sriracha wasabi sauce
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C / 356 °F
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil slowly, stirring consistently
- Cook for about 15 minutes and then adjust the curry to taste if more heat is needed
- In a separate bowl add 3 tablespoons of corn starch, and a little of the curry mixture, stir into a paste
- When the paste is lump free, add to the curry mixture, stirring continuously, when the sauce is slightly thick, set aside
- In a prepared oven dish, add the cooked curry sauce, arrange the medallions of frozen or fresh fish in this sauce and place uncovered in the oven
- Bake for 30 minutes, when cooled, store in the fridge