• Privacy policy
  • T&C’s
  • About Us
    • FAQ
  • Contact us
  • Guest Content
  • TLE
  • News
  • Politics
  • Opinion
    • Elevenses
  • Business
  • Food
  • Travel
  • Property
  • JOBS
  • All
    • All Entertainment
    • Film
    • Sport
    • Tech/Auto
    • Lifestyle
    • Lottery Results
      • Lotto
      • Set For Life
      • Thunderball
      • EuroMillions
No Result
View All Result
The London Economic
SUPPORT THE LONDON ECONOMIC
NEWSLETTER
The London Economic
No Result
View All Result
Home News

‘We will not accept:’ BMA chairman slams neglect of NHS in heartfelt speech

He said Freedom Day on July 19, was a gamble that has since contributed to almost 40,000 hospital admissions and more than 4,000 deaths.

Joe Mellor by Joe Mellor
2021-09-13 11:13
in News
Credit;PA

Credit;PA

FacebookTwitterLinkedinEmailWhatsapp

Chronic neglect of the NHS and a lack of preparedness before the pandemic, along with flawed government thinking, has added to the tragic impact of Covid-19, the British Medical Association’s council chairman will say.

The NHS was already in crisis, with waiting lists at an all-time high and record waits for cancer treatment – plus almost 90,000 staff vacancies before the pandemic struck, according to Dr Chaand Nagpaul in a speech to be given at the BMA’s Annual Representative Meeting.

He is set to say: “We will not accept a return the old pre-pandemic NHS, which was so patently under-staffed and under-resourced, where nine in 10 doctors are afraid of medical errors daily.

“We will not accept an NHS running at unsafe bed occupancy and without spare capacity.

“We will not accept an NHS unprepared for a pandemic, without vital PPE to protect the health and lives of health and care workers.

“We will not accept an NHS in crisis every summer, let alone every winter.”

He added: “We will not accept a nation bereft of public health staff, facilities and testing capacity, with ministers then paying billions to private companies who were unable to deliver.”

The UK has seen more than 130,000 people die with Covid-19 since the pandemic began and there were 12,000 excess non-Covid deaths last year, the BMA says.

Gamble

Dr Nagpaul suggests that the so-called Freedom Day on July 19, when many restriction were eased, was a “gamble” that has since then contributed to almost 40,000 hospital admissions and more than 4,000 deaths.

RelatedPosts

Gary Lineker says BBC should ‘hold its head in shame’ for not airing Gaza documentary

Donald Trump announces he plans to host UFC fight at the White House

BBC to stop showing ‘high risk’ performances after Bob Vylan Glastonbury controversy

Keir Starmer confirms Rachel Reeves will be Chancellor ‘for a very long time to come’

Dr Nagpaul also has concerns about how far recently announced additional funding for the NHS and social care, as it continues to deal with the pandemic and a backlog of cases, will stretch.

The Government plans to raise £12 billion extra a year for the NHS and adult social care through a rise in national insurance next spring.

The NHS will get most of the share for the first three years, with £5.3 billion allocated to social care, £500 million of which will be spent on workforce training and recruitment.

Ministers say social care will get more money after this window as the £86,000 cap on costs, which will come into force in October 2023, starts to require funding.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesman said: “We have backed the health service at every turn, with an extra £29 billion to support health and care services on top of our historic settlement for the NHS in 2018.

“This will see the NHS budget rise by £33.9 billion by 2023/24.

“At the same time, we are backing the NHS with a further £36 billion for health and social care and a ring-fenced £8 billion to tackle backlogs and help the NHS deliver an extra nine million checks, scans and operations for patients across the country.”

Related: EXCL: Cummings says £350m Brexit cash, not tax hike, should fund NHS

Subscribe to our Newsletter

View our  Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions

About Us

TheLondonEconomic.com – Open, accessible and accountable news, sport, culture and lifestyle.

Read more

SUPPORT

We do not charge or put articles behind a paywall. If you can, please show your appreciation for our free content by donating whatever you think is fair to help keep TLE growing and support real, independent, investigative journalism.

DONATE & SUPPORT

Contact

Editorial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Commercial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Address

The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE
Company number 09221879
International House,
24 Holborn Viaduct,
London EC1A 2BN,
United Kingdom

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

← Watch: Breixters furious as Proms awash with EU flags ← Alan Partridge comparisons flood in as Richard Madeley returns
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

-->