Whether it’s winter or summer, this Italian Style Garlic Soup is a winner all year round.
Garlic Garlic and More Garlic
Quick and easy to make, you’ll have dinner ready in less than an hour. This dish is packed with flavour and not just from the garlic! The potatoes add to the creamy texture of the soup, while the chicken stock act as the base of the soup that ties all the flavours together. And the added thyme and parsley complements the garlic taste while bringing a freshness to the soup. But the star of this meal is, of course, garlic! If you’re a bit unsure about the amount of garlic that goes into this soup, don’t worry too much about it. In this recipe, we will be slow cooking the garlic, which will leave you with a silky smooth garlic taste instead of an overpowering, pungent taste. However, it might still be a good idea to warn your co-workers the next day before getting too close.
The croutons are really the most perfect component to top this dish off. They are so easy to make, and if you make them once, you will keep wanting to add them to dishes. If you’re not in the mood for croutons, be sure to serve the soup with some toasted, fresh bread, like bruschetta for example.
Added Health Bonus To This Garlic Soup
Find the perfect medicine in this creamy garlic soup if you have a cold. Not only is this dish so comforting, but garlic also helps the immune system fight germs. Delicious and healthy!
If this recipe caught your tastebuds’ attention, be sure to check out our French Onion Soup recipe.
- 2 cups onions roughly chopped
- 4 cups leeks roughly chopped
- 2 cups potatoes diced
- 3 heads garlic roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 – 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp black pepper crushed
- 1 cup cream
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- 3 slices bread diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place a heavy-based saucepan on medium heat then add the olive oil and add in the onions, make sure they do not burn
- In another 3-4 minutes add the leeks and wait for them to soften then add garlic, thyme, and salt to taste
- Give it a good mix, add the stock, and then 4 to 6 cups of hot water, let this simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are completely cooked
- Insert a stick blender and blend this to a smooth puree and let it gently simmer over medium heat then add the cream, pepper, and parsley
- Cook for 5-6 minutes then remove from heat
- Add olive oil in a skillet on medium heat then add the olive oil and the bread
- Keep sauteing until they are well browned then season with salt and pepper, mix well, sprinkle cheese (optional) and remove from heat
- Serve this delicious, warming Italian garlic soup topped with the croutons, garnished with some cream, parley, or thyme and pepper