One can whip up this meal quickly with only a few ingredients on an outdoor BBQ or indoor grill. This is the perfect grilled curry chicken recipe if you are craving some Indian food without the fuss and hassle of having to stand and stir a pot of curry on the stove. It’s all about the thrill of the grill and a to-die-for marinade!
The curry spice used in the fuss-free marinade is complementary to the garlic and thyme, with the freshly squeezed lemon adding some zesty zing. Marinate your chicken thighs or drumsticks for at least 10 minutes, but keep in mind that the longer it marinates, the better. That way the chicken can soak up all the delicious flavour combinations.
For this grilled curry chicken pieces recipe, we recommend using madras curry powder which is aromatic, flavourful and not very spicy despite a sprinkle of chilli in the mix. Don’t fret however if you only have yellow curry powder or even garam masala on hand at home. It will work just as well to satisfy your craving for spicy grilled chicken.
- Generously oil your grill grates with some paper towels drenched in vegetable oil (canola or vegetable). This will contribute to a beautiful sear, and ensure the chicken doesn’t stick to the grates.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Place each chicken thigh or drumstick down on the grill for about five minutes. Turn each piece over and grill for another five minutes.
Once you’ve grilled your curry chicken, tent it with some foil and let it stand for five to 10 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute inside the chicken.
And while you are grilling away, chargrill some corn cobs for about five minutes for the perfect side to your chicken. You can even leave the husks on while grilling. You can also pair it up with some creamy potato or a healthy green salad.
DID YOU KNOW?
Madras curry is a Southern Indian spice blend that often includes fenugreek seeds and turmeric. Interestingly, many claim it was actually created in curry houses in Britain during the 1960s.
- 12 pieces of chicken (drumsticks and/or thighs)
- 20 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 5 ml curry powder
- 1 whole lemon (juice)
- salt & pepper
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients together, covering the chicken.
- Let the chicken marinate for 10 minutes.
- Option 1: Grill the chicken on a hot grill plate until cooked.
- Option 2: Place the chicken on a grid oven dish.
- Grill in the oven at 160°C for 20 minutes using the grill setting.
- Option 3: Braai the chicken in a folding grid.