Rustling up an artisan-style bread at home has never been this easy. This delicious savoury bread with garlic, onion, herbs and cheese is the perfect side to any meal or why not eat this simply with a green salad for a light lunch? This easy recipe set to be filed under “keepers”!
Nothing beats that comforting and wholesome aroma of baking bread wafting from your kitchen. Add the irresistible smell of some fragrant herbs and pungent garlic to the mix, and you’ve got a true artisan loaf in the making. This easy recipe is destined to become a firm family favourite to be filed under “keepers” in your recipe book.
It only takes a few minutes to put this bread together and instead of making your own bread dough, this recipe calls for readymade store-bought dough. Bonus – no kneading necessary!
Pair this bread with soup and hearty bowls of stew or pasta or head out into the great outdoors with it in your picnic basket.
To store the savoury bread, wrap tightly in tin foil and do not refrigerate. It should keep for up to four days…or maybe not. Chances are that it will be devoured way before then!
- 1 kg readymade store-bought dough
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- salt & pepper
- 10 ml oil
- 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 15 ml melted butter
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- In a saucepan, heat the butter.
- Fry the onion, garlic and herbs.
- Season to taste.
- Flatten the dough to about an even thickness of 2cm.
- Spread the fried onion mix in the middle of the dough.
- Add the cheese.
- Fold over left to right to ensure the mix is in the middle of the dough.
- Shape the dough to fit in your greased bread pan, keeping the folded side at the bottom.
- Cover the dough with a cloth and leave in a warm place to rise.
- The dough should double in size, approximately 20 minutes.
- If the room is cool, it will take longer.
- In a pre-heated oven of 160°C, bake the bread until golden brown.
- If it sounds hollow when you tap it underneath, then it is ready.
- Brush butter over the warm bread to give it a gloss.