Embrace summer with this crunchy apple, coleslaw and walnut salad smothered in a creamy, tangy dressing. The cabbage and walnuts turn this salad into a super nourishing meal. The combination of healthy fats, protein, and fiber in walnuts helps to increase satisfaction and fullness and the humble cabbage is an excellent source of dietary fibre, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
The salad is inspired by the classic Waldorf salad which is said to have originated more than a 100 years ago at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York. is a fruit and nut salad generally made of fresh apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes, dressed in mayonnaise, and traditionally served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal.
Discoloration of sliced apples, always poses a challenge when it comes to fruit salads. In this case however the apples are prevented from turning brown because of the lemon juice in the creamy salad dressing.
A few pointers on shredding the cabbage (use red cabbage to add to this salad’s colourful presentation):
- Cut the cabbage right down the middle through the stem;
- Lay the cabbage cut-side-down on a cutting board and cut in half again through the stem;
- Trim out the little wedge of core; and
- Cut the cabbage into thin ribbons.
But then again, you could cut some corners to save time and buy a pre-mixed bag of coleslaw mix which also usually contains has shredded carrots. Then it is merely a case of tossing your ingredients with the mouthwatering coleslaw dressing and sprinkling the crispy onion mix and walnuts on top. Enjoy!
- 4 carrots 2 cups shredded
- 1 small cabbage 2 cups shredded
- 3 red apples
- 1/2 cup cream or yoghurt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 grams walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 50 grams crispy onion sprinkle
- Mix the salad cream consisting of the mayonnaise, cream and lemon juice.
- Wash the carrots and cabbage, shred with a shredder and place in a salad bowl.
- Wash the apples, slice in half and remove the apple cores.
- Slice the apples thinly and add to the coleslaw in the bowl.
- Using only half of the walnuts, add to the salad and the salad cream.
- Gently toss.
- Sprinkle the crispy onion mix and rest of walnuts over the salad.