Let the subtle spice aroma of this delicious curry and rice dish seduce your taste buds and wow your friends and family around the dinner table. You can easily make this one-pot minced beef curry in a matter of 40 minutes.
This recipe packs a serious flavour punch with its glorious mix of fresh garlic, onions, apricot jam, chutney, cinnamon, and of course, the curry spice. The dish is rated mild, but feel free to adjust the amount of curry powder that you mix in to turn the “heat” up or down.
More vegetables can be added to bulk up the dish In keeping it simple, only chopped potatoes are added. Serve over basmati rice with some good naan bread to make it a meal.
You could use any kind of meat you like, eaten with sticky white rice which goes very well with this curry. Add a simple green salad and you have a tasty meal for your family.
- 2 kg beef mince lean
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tsp barbecue spice
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp curry spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 bananas sliced
- Chutney to taste
- Coconut diced
- 2 cups rice cooked
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Potatoes cubed
- 150 ml hot water
- 15 ml beef stock
- In a saucepan, fry the onions.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon and curry powder. Mix well.
- Add the mince and brown the meat.
- Season to taste.
- Add the jam and vinegar.
- Mix the beef stock with the water, add to the curry.
- Add the cubed potatoes.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make a relish from the tomato and fine onion.
- Serve your curry in a bowl, on a bed of rice, then garnish with the relish, chutney, coconut, and banana slices.
This article was updated on Thursday 25th February, 2021.