Serve up a taste of India with this full-flavoured Buttermilk Chicken Curry that is guaranteed to warm up your body and soul. Being a milder curry by comparison to other Indian curries, Buttermilk Chicken Curry will be a firm favourite among even younger family members.
You are however the master of your own spice universe when it comes to this rich, warming Buttermilk Chicken Curry dish: If you want to give it more bite, just increase the amount of curry powder.
The delicious one-pan dish takes about 30 minutes to cook, but is best prepared in advance so the chicken has plenty of time to marinate.
The easy-to-make marinade will ensure juicy, tender, flavour-infused chicken: Just add buttermilk, plain yoghurt, lime juice, coriander leaves and let it work its magic.
The cubed chicken breasts can be replaced with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Serve with plain or basmati rice and warm naan bread to mop up the rich and creamy sauce as this is definitely a “lick-your-plate” dish!
Buttermilk Chicken Curry
- 500 grams Chicken Breast Cubed
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 1 Garlic Clove Crushed
- 350 ml Buttermilk
- 100 ml Plain Yoghurt
- 20 ml Curry Powder
- 15 ml Coriander Leaves
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 2 ml Ground Black Peppercorns
- Salt to Taste
- 10 ml Butter
- In a seal-able fridge container, mix the buttermilk, yoghurt, curry powder, coriander leaves and lime juice.
- Add the cubed chicken. Make sure all the pieces are covered and put in the fridge for 3 hours.
- When you are ready, heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Fry the onions and garlic.
- Add the buttermilk chicken and bring to a boil.
- Add the black pepper and salt.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice.