There’s nothing better than the classic dessert of ice cream and chocolate sauce. But now you can make it even more alluring by making your own heavenly homemade chocolate sauce.
You only need 5 ingredients for this delicious homemade sauce:
- Double cream
- 70% dark chocolate chips or slab
- Coconut oil
- Sea salt or Kosher salt
Start by melting all the ingredients together over low heat. Remember to keep stirring the mixture so that the chocolate doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of the saucepan. Once the cream is hot enough you will notice that your chocolate will still be a bit clumpy. Take the sauce off the heat but keep stirring until your chocolate sauce becomes smooth and glossy. We recommend doing a taste test (or a few) at this point.
The coconut oil adds a fun aspect to the sauce. When the melted coconut oil in the hot sauce is introduced to cold ice cream, the oil will harden again. This creates a magical shell over the surface of the ice cream.
Leftover Chocolate Sauce Tip
If you’re a fan of the fruit and chocolate combination, then you’ll love this sauce even more. In the case that you have leftover chocolate sauce (no one can blame you if you don’t), dip strawberries or bananas in the sauce and voila! Now you don’t have to feel so guilty since you’re technically eating fruit too!
- 150 g double cream
- 150 g 70% dark chocolate chips or slab
- 50 g coconut oil immediately hardens and creates a magic shell over the surface of the ice cream
- 3 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt (it isn't as harsh tasting)
- Place a small saucepan on low heat.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan, followed by the rest of the ingredients. The cream is added first so the chocolate isn’t resting on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until the cream is just hot enough to the touch. The chocolate will have started to melt but still be in little lumps.
- Remove the sauce from the heat before the chocolate has completely melted, keep stirring off the heat until the sauce is thick smooth, and glossy.
- You can add ice cream to mold and freeze for 30 minutes or serve immediately over ice cream.
- Serve immediately over ice cream.