Whether you serve them on a bed of pasta or as it, no one can resist meatballs. And now it will be even harder to resist when making them crispy!
These meatballs are packed with flavour and a few surprise ingredients. Surprise ingredient number one is the crushed red pepper flakes. These bring a spiciness that enhances the overall flavour of the meatball. However, if your palette cannot handle hot spice, feel free to leave the pepper out. And the second surprise ingredient is the grated parmesan cheese. Cheese within another dish is always a winner in our books.
The added cup of breadcrumbs is essential to this recipe as it keeps the meatballs from becoming dry. The breadcrumbs absorb the juices from the meat as it cooks. And as a result, the moistness gets trapped within the meatball.
When shaping the mixture into small balls, make sure that they are all the same size. This way you will have a more even cooking time. Try using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop to ensure that each ball is the same size.
Once the meatballs have been baked in the oven for 25 minutes they will be perfect and ready to serve.
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 200C degrees /400F degrees (Fan oven, slightly cooler).
- lightly spray a baking tray with nonstick cooking spray.
- combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- mix thoroughly until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- shape into small balls, whatever size you choose, they should all be roughly the same size for even cooking. Tip: I use an ice cream scoop
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- *Serve with spaghetti and pasta sauce of your choice.