What happens if you combine two already great dishes into one? Make this recipe and test the goodness for yourself! This chicken and curry pie is a match made in heaven, complete with a homemade pie crust.
Even though this recipe has a few elements to focus on, doesn’t make it a difficult dish to make. The most effort will be to roast and shred the chicken. This dish is absolutely delicious and combines the comforting taste of a chicken pie with the rich and hearty flavours of curry.
Chef’s Tip for the pie crust topping
The topping is a great way to make a quick homemade pie crust. However, if you want a bit more pastry, feel free to use store-bought puff pastry instead. Just make sure the pastry is completely thawed before rolling it out. This way you will ensure that the pastry does not tear.
Chef’s Tip for the sauce
The sauce for the pie is a basic Béchamel sauce. And the trick to a Béchamel sauce is to never stop stirring. Once the butter and flour get mixed together, the mixture can quickly get lumpy. This is when you continue stirring and add the milk slowly.
- 2 whole chickens, roasted and shredded
- Olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 spring onions chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp curry powder of your choice
- 5 ml turmeric powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 80 ml butter
- 80 ml flour
- 810 ml milk, lukewarm
Topping (Depending on the size of the pie dish, double the quantities)
- 125 ml oil
- 125 ml milk
- 200 ml cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg (beaten in a little water)
For The Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F.
- Heat a frying pan with a dash of olive oil.
- Fry the onions, spring onions and green pepper until soft and translucent for about 5 minutes. Add the thyme, mushrooms, and spices.
- Add the shredded chicken and season to taste.
For The Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add all the flour and stir until you have a paste. Add the milk slowly and whisk well. Season to taste. Whisk constantly until it bubbles, and the flour is cooked.
- Combine the sauce with the filling and place in an ovenproof pie dish.
- Mix all the ingredients, pour over pie and bake in the oven at 180degrees C / 350 degrees F for about 5min or until cooked through and golden brown.
RELATED: How To Make: Vanilla Custard Triple Layered Cake