• Privacy policy
  • T&C’s
  • About Us
    • FAQ
  • Contact us
  • Guest Content
  • TLE
  • News
  • Politics
  • Opinion
    • Elevenses
  • Business
  • Food
  • Travel
  • Property
  • JOBS
  • All
    • All Entertainment
    • Film
    • Sport
    • Tech/Auto
    • Lifestyle
    • Lottery Results
      • Lotto
      • Set For Life
      • Thunderball
      • EuroMillions
No Result
View All Result
The London Economic
SUPPORT THE LONDON ECONOMIC
NEWSLETTER
The London Economic
No Result
View All Result
Home News World News

Democrats say Trump should prove claims murdered Iranian General was ‘planning something’

Donald Trump said that his decision saved American lives.

Ben Gelblum by Ben Gelblum
2020-01-08 03:31
in World News
FacebookTwitterLinkedinEmailWhatsapp

In the early hours of Wednesday morning the crisis over Donald Trump’s assassination of top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani worsened as Iran bombed US troop bases in Iraq. 

Iran threatened to escalate the conflict throughout the region if the US responded militarily.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard insisted that if the US did respond militarily, the conflict would escalate with Iranian attacks on more bases in Iraq, as well as attacks on Dubai and Israel. Iranian proxy militias Hezbollah and shiite militias in Iraq could escalate the crisis into a regional war.

US President Donald Trump has continued to insist that  his decision to order the killing of the Iranian general saved a lot of lives, calling General Soleimani “a monster” on Tuesday evening.

Trump and his top advisers are now under intense pressure to disclose more detail about the intelligence that led to the killing, which has greatly heightened tension with Tehran.

Trump continued to insist on Tuesday that his decision saved American lives and that members of Congress will be briefed on the reasons for the US attack.

“We saved a lot of lives,” he said. “They were planning something.”

But so far, Trump and top national security officials have justified the air strike with general statements about the threat posted by Gen Soleimani, who commanded proxy forces outside Iran and was responsible for the deaths of American troops in Iraq.

But the details have been scarce. Donald  Trump said: “He’s been called a monster, and he was a monster, and he’s no longer a monster, he’s dead.

RelatedPosts

Here’s a list of all the countries the US has bombed since World War II

Ukraine war: Fear and hope as Russian bombardment intensifies

Thousands evacuated as out-of-control wildfire scorches Tenerife

WATCH: President Joe Biden caught on mic saying ‘no one f**ks with a Biden’

“And that’s a good thing for a lot of countries. He was planning a very big attack, and a very bad attack for us and other people, and we stopped him and I don’t think anybody can complain about it.”

Gen Soleimani was targeted while he was at an airport in Baghdad with Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, a veteran Iraqi militant who also was killed.

Trump said they were not in Baghdad to discuss holiday plans or visit a “’nice resort”, but were there to talk over “’bad business”.

However the Iraqi Prime Minister insisted that Soleimani had arrived to give an official Iranian response to a regional peace initiative by Saudi Arabia.

The lack of detail over Trump’s reasons for the drone assassination does not sit well with Democrats, who recall how President George W. Bush justified his invasion of Iraq by accusing Saddam Hussein of having non-existent weapons of mass destruction.

US lawmakers in recent days have been pressing for more detail to explain why Donald Trump ordered the killing – a decision that previous administrations passed up because of fears it would unleash even more violence.

Gen Soleimani travelled frequently and relatively openly, with visits to Baghdad more frequent in recent months. He also often showed up in Syria, including along the border between Iraq and Syria.

Secretary of state Mike Pompeo said it was clear that Gen Soleimani was continuing his efforts to build a network of activities “that were going to lead potentially to the death of many more Americans”.

Defence secretary Mark Esper told reporters that Iranian threats against Americans were “’days away” from being executed.

However, Democratic lawmakers are not convinced.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senator Bob Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate foreign relations committee, called on Trump to declassify the written notification the president sent to Congress after the fatal strike on Gen Soleimani.

The notification was required under the War Powers Resolution Act of 1973, which requires the president to report to Congress when American forces are sent into hostile or imminently hostile situations.

“It is critical that national security matters of such import be shared with the American people in a timely manner,” the senators wrote.

“An entirely classified notification is simply not appropriate in a democratic society, and there appears to be no legitimate justification for classifying this notification.”

@BenGelblum

READ MORE: Iran warns US allies not to retaliate to missile strikes and threatens to hit Israel and Dubai too

Tags: headine

Subscribe to our Newsletter

View our  Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions

About Us

TheLondonEconomic.com – Open, accessible and accountable news, sport, culture and lifestyle.

Read more

SUPPORT

We do not charge or put articles behind a paywall. If you can, please show your appreciation for our free content by donating whatever you think is fair to help keep TLE growing and support real, independent, investigative journalism.

DONATE & SUPPORT

Contact

Editorial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Commercial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Address

The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE
Company number 09221879
International House,
24 Holborn Viaduct,
London EC1A 2BN,
United Kingdom

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

← Sir Elton John pledges a million dollars for Australian wildfires as other celebrities promise support too ← Leeds United and the modern magic of the FA Cup
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

-->