Looking for a health kick? This kale, red grape, hazelnut, and Västerbotten cheese salad are ideal. Taken from Bronte Aurell’s book THE SCANDIKITCHEN – a collection of delicious Scandinavian recipes – this salad includes a good helping of fruits and vegetables without compromising on flavour, and is simple, natural, and wholesome.
This recipe is taken from THE SCANDIKITCHEN by Bronte Aurell, published by Ryland Peters and Small, Photography by Peter Cassidy.
- 200 gram Kale
- 1 – 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil good quality. extra virgin
- Salt & black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp Toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 25 Red grapes
- 40 gram Västerbotten If you cannot get hold of Västerbotten, use Pecorino shavings instead
- Discard the stems of the kale and chop the leaves
- Add the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper to the kale and gently massage the leaves until they tenderise
- This takes a few minutes and you will see the kale go a darker green colour (massaging makes the kale's tough cellulose structure break down and wilt a bit)
- Taste it, if it is no longer bitter, it’s done
- Add the toasted hazelnuts to the salad along with the halved red grapes and Västerbotten cheese shavings
- Serve immediately