This four bean salad is comforting, filling and super easy to put together as a healthy side dish for your next barbeque or potluck.
With its colourful mix of red kidney, butter, green and black beans tossed, this bean salad, tossed with a sweet and vinegary dressing, is a guaranteed summery treat for the senses.
And to top it off, beans are packed with wholesome goodness:
- Beans are full of phytonutrients and antioxidants that fight free radicals
- Full of soluble + insoluble fibre that helps with digestion: The soluble fibre helps usher out bad stuff in the gut and the soluble fibre prevents constipation
- Protein rich and a great source of iron.
- Stabilises blood sugar as it releases energy slowly.
The sweet-tangy dressing is made of simple ingredients which you probably have on hand: Garlic, oil, vinegar and soft brown sugar which can be replaced with honey if you prefer. And to add a bit of a bite, we’ve added some chillies into the mix!
If you have the time, make this quick-to-prepare side dish ahead of time the day before to give the flavours a chance to mingle and let the beans take on all that deliciousness.
Toss the four bean salad to evenly coat in the dressing that also serves as a marinade and place in large sealed container in the fridge. Turn every now and again to mix up the ingredients. The salad can be kept in the fridge for up to five days when it actually seems to be at its best!
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can butter beans
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can black beans
- 2 red pickles or red onions, finely diced
- 1 tsp dried chillies (optional 1 tablespoon jalapeños, finely diced)
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup vinegar, distilled white, or apple cider
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 125 ml soft brown sugar
- Open all the cans and empty the beans into a colander in the sink, and rinse.
- Add all ingredients to a large container, ideally one that has a leak-proof lid. Cover, and shake well, ensuring all the ingredients are soaked through with this delicious marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least a few hours, overnight is better. Roll or flip the container occasionally to help it marinate.
- Serve the salad cold.