Mussels, shrimp and calamari strips are simmered to heavenly perfection in a creamy garlic sauce with a dash of white wine. Serve this hearty medley of seafood marinara on date nights, when entertaining guests or simply treat yourself on a weeknight in.
Turn this “taste of the ocean on your plate” into a gourmet-style dish by serving the creamy seafood marinara recipe on a combination of regular and squid ink linguini. However, you can use any type of pasta you have on hand or even combine the seafood marinara with some steaming white rice to soak up the mouthwatering sauce.
Any type of crisp dry white wine, such as a sauvignon blanc or unoaked chardonnay, will work. Although the wine is optional, it comes highly recommend as the acidity brings out the best flavours in cream sauces and seafood.
The easiest way to reheat the seafood marinara, is to place it in a pan set over medium-low heat with a splash of liquid, such as water, stock or cream. Leftovers can be kept covered in the fridge for up to two days.
- Soak and scrub the mussels with a metal brush to rid them of their grit if using fresh.
- Peel and devein the shrimp if needed, rinse thoroughly, and pat-dry with a paper towel.
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 crushed garlic cloves
- 400 grams mussels (in the shell)
- 400 grams calamari strips
- 400 grams large shrimp
- 2 tbsp fish spice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper
- juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp honey
- 125 ml cream
- 100 ml white wine (optional)
- 30 ml butter
- In a large sauce pan, fry the onion and garlic in the butter.
- Add the mussels, prawn and calamari strips.
- Spice with fish spice, salt and pepper.
- Add the wine, lemon juice and honey.
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and stir gently for five minutes.
- Serve on pasta or a bed of your rice. Garnish with fresh parsley or coriander.