Quick and easy chicken livers in a creamy sauce make for the perfect starter or comforting weeknight meal served on pasta or rice. And when served with some hot-buttered slices of French loaf, consider lunch sorted. Just make sure you have enough crispy bread to mop up the creamy lusciousness of this delicious sauce!
Chicken livers are big on flavour, inexpensive and high in nutritional value. Often called a “superfood,” chicken liver is packed to the brim with nutrients to keep your body healthy. It is a rich source of protein, iron, folate, and a variety of minerals and vitamins, such as vitamin K, C, E, B12, B2 (riboflavin).
Chicken livers are extremely delicate and if overcooked, it will become tough. After braising with the onions in butter, cook for about 10 minutes in the fragrant garlic and cream sauce. The livers should be nicely browned on the outside, but still slightly pink in the centre.
- If you have some time for prepping the chicken livers, this brining technique is said to add moisture and flavour to the cells of the protein. After trimming the livers and removing the connective tissues, soak the livers in a simple salt brine for an hour or two.
- 500 gram cleaned chicken livers
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- barbeque spice
- 200 ml fresh cream
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 30 ml butter
- fresh parsley
- 1 French loaf, sliced and buttered
- In a saucepan, heat the butter.
- Fry the onions
- Add the chicken livers and season to taste.
- Braise the chicken livers until browned.
- Add the garlic and cream.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
- On a grill, toast the buttered French bread.