Mayonnaise and chutney may sound like an unusual combination for a chicken casserole, but this finger-licking good recipe is a much-loved traditional South African dish.
This one-dish wonder (rice included!) is quick and easy to throw together and boasts a rich, thick sauce which has a slightly sweetish, slightly spicy flavour dependent on the chutney used. Prep time is about 20 minutes and after that it is a matter of popping the chicken dish into the oven and roasting it to perfection.
If you run out of mayonnaise, you can replace it with cream but the mayonnaise makes the dish a tad sweeter. If there is any secret to this dish, it is a good quality mayonnaise. Also don’t skimp on the number of chicken pieces. You would most definitely want to use the leftovers to make chicken mayo sandwiches for lunch the next day!
This chutney mayo chicken bake recipe involves cooking your rice in the same oven dish along with the chicken, but it’s up to you whether you prefer potatoes, mash, couscous or a side of vegetables.
- Use thighs rather than chicken breast. It is very easy to overcook breast and then it can be dry. Thighs are much more succulent and moist, just remove any visible fat beforehand.
- 8 large pieces of chicken
- 2 tbsp chicken spice
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 packet of brown onion soup
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup chutney
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Rub the chicken spice into the chicken
- Add the rice in a greased oven dish and place the chicken pieces on top of the rice
- Mix the hot water and onion soup
- Add the chutney and mayo and mix
- Pour over the chicken
- Cover the dish with tin foil and place in the preheated oven for 1 hour
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a salad
RELATED: How To Make: Tropical Pasta Salad