Let this grilled, glazed mini brussels sprouts pop in your mouth with every bite. It’s a refreshing and easy side dish perfect for holiday entertaining or family dinners.
Brussels sprouts really get a bad rap. Young, green sprouts, fresh off the stalk, have almost none of that bitterness most people hate.
Roasting vegetables mellows out the flavour, which is exactly what this vegetable needs. When they are roasted (in the oven or over the fire on a grill as is the case with this recipe), Brussels sprouts taste nothing like when they are boiled. The bitterness is replaced by a delicious nutty taste.
The little sprouts are skewered with some bacon, glazed with a mixture of honey, garlic, thyme and grapefruit juice, then grilled to crispy, caramelised perfection. After a flavoursome journey like that, what veggie wouldn’t taste good?
This recipe for Brussels sprouts is an inspiring way to get in those green cruciferous vegetables. Brussels sprouts are are full of fibre, antioxidants, essential vitamins, and minerals.
Look for sprouts that are still on the stalk to make sure they’re really fresh. If you can’t find them on the stalk, grab ones that are firm, with leaves that are still tightly wrapped.
- 6 wood skewers
- 30 steamed mini brussel sprouts
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 fresh grapefruit juiced
- 30 ml butter
- 30 ml honey
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- In a saucepan heat the butter
- Add the honey, garlic, grapefruit juice and thyme
- Let it reduce to a thick glaze
- Weave the bacon through the threaded Brussel Sprouts on the skewers
- On a heated greased grill, place the skewers on the hot grill
- With a cooking brush, brush the glaze over the skewers
- Keep turning to prevent burning. Grill until the bacon is cooked