It’s a bit of an old story now, but vinyl really is back in vogue, and classic artists are helping bring the format back from the brink.
New figures from Nielsen have uncovered album sales figures for 2018, including the increased market share vinyl carved out for itself.
The Beatles were the best-selling act on vinyl, with three albums – Abbey Road, the White Album and Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band all in the Top 15. Pink Floyd, Bowie, Panic! At the Disco (not quite a classic act yet!) and Fleetwood Mac followed close behind.
As for the best-selling album on vinyl, the Guardians of the Galaxy OST took the honour – another record peppered with icons of the 60s, 70s and 80s.
16.8 million vinyl albums were sold in 2018, representing 11.9 percent of all album sales, which totaled 141 million across the year.
Top 10 Selling Vinyl Albums of 2018
1. Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (84,000)
2. Michael Jackson, Thriller (84,000)
3. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (77,000)
4. The Beatles, Abbey Road (76,000)
5. Prince and the Revolution, Purple Rain (71,000)
6. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon (67,000)
7. Bob Marley and The Wailers, Legend: The Best Of … (61,000)
8. Queen, Greatest Hits (60,000)
9. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black (59,000)
10. Panic! at the Disco, Pray for the Wicked (59,000)
Best-Selling Artists on Vinyl of 2018
1. The Beatles (321,000)
2. Pink Floyd (177,000)
3. David Bowie (150,000)
4. Pani! At the Disco (148,000)
5. Fleetwood Mac (139,000)
6. Led Zeppelin (138,000)
7. Michael Jackson (131,000)
8. Jimi Hendrix (119,000)
9. Metallica (116,000)
10. Queen (113,000)