Two men appeared in court today (Thurs) charged with the manslaughter of a 15-year-old girl who died after suffering a severe allergic reaction after eating an Indian takeaway.
Megan Lee died in hospital on New Year’s Day from anaphylactic shock having eaten a kebab or a Peshwari naan which included nuts.
She had ordered a takeaway via Just Eat from Royal Spice Indian takeaway in Oswaldtwistle, Lancs., on December 30, 2016, two days prior to her death.
A post-mortem examination showed she died from acute asthma due to a nut allergy.
Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 39, of Blackburn, and Harun Rashid, 38, of Rossendale, appeared at Blackburn Magistrates’ Court in connection with the death.
They are both charged with manslaughter, failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than an employee and contravening or failing to comply with EU provisions concerning food safety and hygiene.
Kuddus was also charged under the name of the company, RS Takeaways, with failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than an employee, and contravening or failing to comply with EU provisions concerning food safety and hygiene.
He spoke through an interpreter to confirm his name, age and address. Both men confirmed their nationality as Bangladeshi.
Prosecuting, Karen Tonge, said Megan had been spending time with family and friends before deciding to order a takeaway from Royal Spice via Just Eat.
Megan’s parents Adam and Gemma Lee, from Oswaldtwistle, were in court with other family members for the 20-minute hearing.
Chair of bench Mrs Donna Jackson said due to the ‘severity’ of these offences the case was not suitable for magistrates.
The case was sent to Burnley Crown Court where the men will appear on 7 February. They were granted conditional bail.
The company charges will also be heard at the court on the same date.
The Royal Spice takeaway is now trading under new ownership.