• Privacy policy
  • T&C’s
  • About Us
    • FAQ
  • Contact us
  • Guest Content
  • TLE
  • News
  • Politics
  • Opinion
    • Elevenses
  • Business
  • Food
  • Travel
  • Property
  • JOBS
  • All
    • All Entertainment
    • Film
    • Sport
    • Tech/Auto
    • Lifestyle
    • Lottery Results
      • Lotto
      • Set For Life
      • Thunderball
      • EuroMillions
No Result
View All Result
The London Economic
SUPPORT THE LONDON ECONOMIC
NEWSLETTER
The London Economic
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Johnson considers going ethic-less following Geidt resignation

Lord Geidt quit after being forced into an “impossible and odious” position by the prime minister.

Jack Peat by Jack Peat
2022-06-18 08:05
in Politics
FacebookTwitterLinkedinEmailWhatsapp

Boris Johnson could go rogue on ethics following the resignation of Lord Geidt, who accused the PM of making a mockery of his position overseeing standards in government.

According to reports, the prime minister is considering scrapping the ethics role and will consider other “mechanisms” for enforcing the ministerial code.

Lord Geidt said he had been narrowly clinging on as ministerial interests adviser over partygate but ultimately quit after being forced into an “impossible and odious” position by the PM.

He accused Johnson of considering risking a “deliberate and purposeful breach” of his own ministerial code by potentially breaking World Trade Organisation rules over Chinese steel tariffs.

Downing Street accepted the ethics chief fulfils a “vitally important” function advising on the ministerial code but said the prime minister was reviewing the position and could abolish it.

Mayor Capone decides Eliot Ness role no longer needed in the city of Chicago pic.twitter.com/dGiyGMxEn8

— Otto English (@Otto_English) June 17, 2022

“Quite a big mistake”

Reacting to the news, Conservative former minister John Penrose said on Friday that a failure to fill the role after Lord Geidt’s resignation in anger would leave “really quite damaging questions dangling”.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “I think that would be potentially quite a big mistake.”

“I think one of the reasons why it’s important to have some continuity, why it’s important to have if not a precise replacement then an effective succession here, is to make sure that you don’t leave really quite damaging questions dangling and that anything that’s outstanding doesn’t just get forgotten and lost,” he added.

The MP for Weston-super-Mare resigned from the anti-corruption role last week accusing Mr Johnson of breaking the code in his response to Sue Gray’s report into lockdown-breaking parties.

RelatedPosts

Outgoing French PM speaks truth about nation’s debt spiral

Reform UK ‘picked dead woman from Bradford as Croydon mayoral candidate’

Reform’s Sarah Pochin blames ‘Labour bureaucracy’ for lake drying up

Kemi Badenoch proudly declares she’ll deport women and children

On Friday, Mr Penrose added: “I just think that the Prime Minister is currently overdrawn, if I can put it that way, on his account with both the voters and with the parliamentary party. They need to show that they’re serious about this.”

Lord Evans

Lord Evans, the chair of the standards watchdog, also warned against failing to replace Lord Geidt.

“At a time of heightened concern about standards in public life, any change to the oversight of ministerial behaviour must be stronger, not weaker, than we have now,” he wrote online.

Downing Street defended the review, insisting that the prime minister will take advice from those within No 10 as well as “others with expertise in this area”.

“And it may be that the Prime Minister decides to make a like-for-like replacement, or it might be that we set up a different body that undertakes the same functions,” a No 10 spokesman said.

“But the Prime Minister thinks it’s right to take the time to reflect on those issues which are well highlighted.”

Related: Lord Geidt’s resignation letter finally published revealing why he quit

Tags: Boris JohnsonLord Geidt

Subscribe to our Newsletter

View our  Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions

About Us

TheLondonEconomic.com – Open, accessible and accountable news, sport, culture and lifestyle.

Read more

SUPPORT

We do not charge or put articles behind a paywall. If you can, please show your appreciation for our free content by donating whatever you think is fair to help keep TLE growing and support real, independent, investigative journalism.

DONATE & SUPPORT

Contact

Editorial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Commercial enquiries, please contact: [email protected]

Address

The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE
Company number 09221879
International House,
24 Holborn Viaduct,
London EC1A 2BN,
United Kingdom

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

← Tories primed to call snap election after NI Protocol and Rwanda moves deemed a SUCCESS ← Brexiteer comes up with cunning ‘Rwandan navy’ plan to deal with asylum seekers… overlooks one small detail
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lottery Results
    • Lotto
    • Set For Life
    • Thunderball
    • EuroMillions
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Travel
  • JOBS
  • More…
    • Elevenses
    • Opinion
    • Property
    • Tech & Auto
  • About Us
    • Privacy policy
  • Contact us

© The London Economic Newspaper Limited t/a TLE thelondoneconomic.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy

-->