Who to Inform When Moving House

Moving house is a tiresome experience which often leads to a better life but comes at great costs. Changing your location means you have to deal with a great number of additional tasks because of your new address.

Make sure every person and institution, who deserves to learn about your relocation does so, otherwise you may have some serious difficulties getting back to your previous, comfortable  daily routine.

Ignoring the list of things that should be done after changing your address may even lead to getting a fee of up to £1000.

Family and Employer

FamilyYour family should be informed of your new address. If they decide to visit you without a warning, they will end up in front the door at your old address, which is something you want to avoid. Simply make an email group of your siblings and send an email with your new address details.

Employer– Your employer might send important papers to your address or might even decide to visit your personally. For this reason, make sure they will come at the right place.

Friends & neighbours – This one is self-explanatory. Friend and neighbours come without a warning and they will end up visiting the newcomers at your previous address, which is something you can spare them in advance.


Local council – After a change in address, the local council send a final bill to the old address, which is basically a monthly tax. After that you are supposed to receive an annual bill for the new property, which will arrive at the new address, respectively. Use the same debit arrangement if the area and council are the same. In case they are difference, you will have to set up a new account.

HM Revenue & Customs – Changing your address details with HM revenue & customs is a must in case you are registered for any of the following: Corporation Tax; Self Assessment; PAYE for employers; VAT (you must inform the HMRC of any changes within a period of 30 days); the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

Follow the instructions on this page to deal with the process flawlessly.

Child benefit – You can use the online service to inform the Child Benefit Office about your change in address or any additional alternation in your personal information such as: change of name; change of bank account details etc.

House Bill Checklist

  • Electricity
  • Landline
  • Mobile phone
  • Water
  • Gas
  • TV


Inform DVLA – You should inform the DVLA as soon as possible after an address change. This guarantees your vehicle log book and vehicle tax will be updated properly.

Even if you move temporary, you still have to change your address with the  Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. If you don’t do so, you may be fined up to £1,000.

How it’s done?

  • Update your driving licence address.
  • Update V5C (vehicle log book) address.
  • Call DVLA to change the billing address for that payment If you pay by Direct Debit.

Take Care of Breakdown cover

Health-related information

Doctor – Keep up to date your details in the GMC (General Medical Council). In order to maintain a reliable address information, log in with your account, go to “me details” section and make the necessary changes.

It is important for you to make sure that your registered address continues to be reliable and effective throughout your professional life.

The best way to keep your address and other contact details up-to-date is to change them in our secure web portal, GMC Online, in the My details section. If you already have an online account, you can log in here to update your address.

Dentist – The General Dental Council (GDC) in UK requires from you to inform it about any changes in the registered details they currently have. This includes: contact details, name and bank details. Doing this is vital if you want to receive their letter.

The full information on changing your details with the GDC may be found here.

Vet – During emergencies, the vet might have to visit your home in case you are not able to bring your beloved pet to the pet health centre. Make sure the vet will arrive at the right place by informing him via email, phone call or personally.

If their website has a log-in-system, log in with account and change the details.

Royal mail redirection

Redirecting your royal mail is a must. When you do so, you won’t miss any important documents. You’ll also receive offers for a moving service if you haven’t booked one already. Redirecting your business mail should be done after you read more details on the official Royal business mail redirection page.


  • Library
  • Schools College/Universities
  • Pet micro-chipping services
  • Milkman
  • Regular domestic services such as cleaning companies & gardeners
  • Charities


Written By Kate Windleton, Relocation Manager at Strong Move

Leave a Reply