Looking to exit the UK due to Brexit and thinking of moving to the US?

It looks like we are getting closer to understanding what the impact of Brexit will be but many people in the UK are already looking at their options for living outside of the UK. Figures published by the bbc.co.uk earlier this year showed that the number of EU nationals leaving the UK is at the highest it has been in a decade. People working across a wide range of industries are predicting that Brexit is not going to work out in their favour and are already making the move overseas.

One area of the world that people are moving to is the US, with many benefits including that there is no requirement to be fluent in another language and that many states have a similar cultural fit to the UK. There are many different areas across the US that UK citizens are moving to, largely dependent on their work industry and availability of work.

The main industries in the US are aerospace, chemicals, consumer goods, electronics, food processing, healthcare, lumber, mining, motor, petroleum. Generally getting a working visa is quite difficult unless you have a skill that is in high demand in the US. It is important that you do the necessary research if you want to stay in the US permanently.

Applying for an ESTA

However, one option that you have is to apply for an ESTA that will cover you to work for a period of up to 90 days. Whilst this will not grant you permission for a permanent move to the US, it enables you to go out there and start looking for jobs and trying to obtain a sponsor to enable you to get a working visa.                               

To apply for an ESTA you simply need to complete the online form that will run through a set of questions such as name, address, DOB and employment details. You will also be required to provide your passport information and answer some questions regarding whether you have travelled to specific countries and also details regarding any criminal convictions and some health related questions.

It is recommended that you apply for an ESTA at least 72 hours before you are due to fly to the US, so that there is enough time to process the application and also if there are any delays, you can try to resolve any issues in time.
If you are successful in applying for the ESTA then you are able to enter the US for both working and tourist purposes. However, if you want to stay in the US for longer than 90 days you will need to apply for the appropriate ESTA visa. An ESTA is valid for two years but in that time you are not allowed to stay in the US for over 90 consecutive days. You are however, allowed to make multiple trips of less than 90 days within the two years that it is valid.      

Leave a Reply