Youth worker was stabbed to death by a gang of up to six men after his car was rammed

A youth worker was stabbed to death and beaten with bats by a gang of up to six men after his car was rammed, a court heard.

Kwabena Nelson, 22, was stabbed to death 14 times by a group of men armed with knives and other weapons, a jury was told.

He was driving his grey Honda Civic in Wood Green on February 3 at around 1.30am when it was allegedly rammed by a stolen black Honda Civic driven by Neron Quartey, 21.

Then around five men got out and attacked Mr Nelson’s car and dragged him out, it was said.

Mr Nelson, known as Kobi, was then chased down the road and while on the floor surrounded suffered multiple stab wounds in the “determined and sustained attack.”

One witness saw the gang smashing the car’s doors while another heard the men making “angry chanting noises” while carrying baseball bats and knives, the Old Bailey heard.

After the attack Mr Nelson dialled 999 and ran to a nearby house to beg for help, then called his brother’s girlfriend who arrived at the scene as he was “close to death, it was said”.

Mr Nelson bleed to death in the street despite paramedics trying desperately to save his life.

He had been suffering from a medical condition that reduced his mobility, the Old Bailey heard today (Mon).

A woman described as ‘Witness A’ heard a car horn sounding in the early hours of the morning and saw two cars in the street after the crash followed by four or five people dressed in dark clothing get out.

She told the jury via video link: “I saw about four to five people come out of the black car, every door was open and everyone came out.

“They all went up to the car and tried to open the door. They were all banging on the car.

“The driver tried to get out of the driver’s side but he couldn’t because he was surrounded so he came out of the other side.

“One of the men from the other car pulled him out and started attacking him.

“He was followed by a group of men or boys, they all followed him down the street, all started hitting on him, kicking him and knifing him down.

“He was curled up like a baby trying to protect himself.

“That’s when I saw silver flashes coming back and going in. They were kicking and stabbing him.”

She said the attack only lasted around three minutes.

Another referred to as ‘Witness C’ said the group were chanting “like at a football match”.

He said in a witness statement: “They were just swinging and swinging down on him for about 30 seconds.

“I could see they had weapons in one of their hands and they were all taking part.

“I could see males one to six sort of chanting and making noises as they beat him, like an aggressive excited chanting almost like at a football match.

“I could hear screams and more screams from the person on the floor, then finally the last scream was chilling and then it stopped.”

Felipe Luchi who lived near to the scene was asleep in his mother’s dining room when he heard a scream and Mr Nelson banging on his front door.

He said in a written statement read to the court by prosecutor Simon Mayo QC: “I was awoken by someone knocking heavily and desperately on the door, it was heavy , strong and lasted for around two minutes.

“He was saying ‘help me, help me, I was stabbed’, then, ‘I’m going to die’.

“He was initially shouting but he appeared to be losing strength and he was just talking.”

Mr Lughi’s younger brother called the police and ambulance.

The victim’s brother Kwadwo Antwi-Adjei, known as Kojo, found him lying in the street bleeding from a deep thigh and arm wound.

As he lay in the street Mr Nelson begged, “don’t let me die” and “pray for me”.

Two pieces of a large broken knife blade, a hunting blade and handle were found in nearby streets plus two knife sheaths were discovered in the black Honda, the court heard.

Quartey denies murder and say he was driving the car but did not get out and take part in the attack.

The trial continues.


Since you’re here …

Real, independent, investigative journalism is in alarming decline. It costs a lot to produce. Many publications facing an uncertain future can no longer afford to fund it. This means journalists are losing the ability to hold the rich and powerful to account.

We do not charge or put articles behind a paywall. If you can, please show your appreciation for our free content by donating whatever you think is fair to help keep TLE growing.

Every penny we collect from donations supports vital investigative and independent journalism. You can also help us grow by inviting your friends to follow us on social media.

Donate Now Button

Leave a Reply