“Callous Carillion” sack staff by email over the weekend

Carillion have today been described as “callous” after they sent staff emails on Saturday simply telling them not to bother turning up for work on Monday.

The official reciever this morning confirmed a further 452 posts had been made redundant.

According to staff they were notified by email at the weekend which advised them not to turn up to work.

Rehana Azam, GMB National Secretary said: “Loyal Carillion staff are being treated with utter contempt by PWC.

“The receiver told the task force that central office staff would remain in place until April – then this morning we see almost 500 are being booted out.

“It’s not just the fact so many are being made redundant – it’s the callous way PWC are going about it which is so outrageous.

“Some people received emails on Saturday simply telling them not to bother turning up for work on Monday.

“Others have been given less than a day’s notice.

“And the ones that still have a job are in limbo – like some horrific zero hours contract they turn up to work each day not knowing if they’ll still have a job at the end of the day.

“Both the Receiver and PWC must follow proper procedure and consult over redundancies.”

RELATED 

Since you’re here …

It may worry you that much of our mainstream press is increasingly reporting with a strong right-wing bias. Most of our media is owned by a handful of offshore billionaires with personal agendas.

More worrying is the staggering decline in independent, investigative journalism. It costs a lot to produce, so many publications facing an uncertain future can no longer fund it.

With nobody to hold the rich and powerful to account, or report on the issues that don't fit with the mainstream 'narrative', your help is needed.

You can help support free, independent journalism for as little as 50p. Every penny we collect from donations supports vital investigative journalism.


Donate Now Button

Leave a Reply

5 × 5 =