The prime minister’s 585-page proposed agreement was finalised late last night, these are the main points that have emerged from it, so far. More analysis to follow.
- UK to become a “single customs territory” starting in March 2019 going on until December 2020
- UK will remain in EU customs union indefinitely if new agreement not reached by December 2020
- Northern Ireland will be in the same customs agreement as UK and EU if no future agreement is agreed
- EU nationals who have lived in UK for five years consecutively will have the right to stay permanently in UK with families
- UK will not be obliged to give student grants or loans to non-permanent residents
- End of free movement – however visa-free travel to EU countries will continue, as it does currently.
- UK will become an “independent coastal state” but will work with EU on fishing rights for waters surrounding Britain and beyond.