Amazing footage: Manchester fire and rescue service praised for stopping fire spread across city centre tower block

This evening’s fire that spread quickly across a 20-storey apartment block in central Manchester has been brought under control by Manchester firefighters who have been praised for their rapid response.

The building was evacuated with a 23-year old taken to hospital for checks for smoke inhalation.

Manchester fire brigade said that the blaze spread rapidly across three floors via wooden balconies.

Twelve fire crews fought to control the blaze on the ninth floor of the high rise building in Joiner Street, in Manchester’s Northern Quarter.

They were called out just after 4pm on Saturday.

The Manchester Fire and Rescue Service air crew helped stop the fire spread to the upper floors and captured this amazing footage:

Bystanders in central Manchester captured scenes of flames pouring across several apartments.

The blaze appeared to have broken out on the ninth floor of a 12 storey apartment block near to Manchester’s Afflecks Palace market. The cause is still unknown.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that as well as the fire damage to the ninth floor there was damage to the two floors above and smoke damage to the eighth floor.

They confirmed that none of the cladding linked to the Grenfell Tower blaze six months ago was involved in tonight’s fire. Rather, wooden balconies helped the rapid spread of flames.

“Fire crews remain on the scene to systematically search the building, although we are confident there are no other casualties and the incident is now being scaled down.

A number of people have been evacuated and temporary accommodation will be set up for those who need it.

Crews remain on the scene making sure the building and the area are safe,” a statement on their website said.

Manchester Mayor Andy Turnham praised firefighters for responding rapidly.

As did Manchester Central MP Lucy Powell.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn thanked the city’s fire service for their “heroic work” as well as the police and paramedics.

This month Conservatives admitted not a penny of the extra money promised to councils for essential safety work on tower blocks after the Grenfell disaster has been paid out.

Housing Minister Alok Sharma confessed in a barely reported written statement that six months on from the blaze that claimed 71 lives, no extra fire safety funds had been provided despite 36 councils asking the Government for fund stop carry out work on tower blocks.

RELATED: 

UPDATE: Apartment block fire spreading quickly in Manchester Northern Quarter

Revealed: UK Fire Brigade Slashed By Cuts And Failed Privatisation

London Zoo on lockdown after fire broke out next to the Meerkats

Since you’re here …

Real, independent, investigative journalism is in alarming decline. It costs a lot to produce. Many publications facing an uncertain future can no longer afford to fund it. This means journalists are losing the ability to hold the rich and powerful to account.

We do not charge or put articles behind a paywall. If you can, please show your appreciation for our free content by donating whatever you think is fair to help keep TLE growing.

Every penny we collect from donations supports vital investigative and independent journalism. You can also help us grow by inviting your friends to follow us on social media.


Donate Now Button

Related Posts

Stephen Lawrence murder suspect Jamie Acourt behind bars for multi-million drugs operation
Las Vegas by day: exploring East Fremont Street, the ‘Shoreditch of Vegas’
Mum’s shock when 5-year-old goes to school nativity with Amazon shepherd costume with sex doll inflatable sheep

Leave a Reply