A “disabled” man has been arrested after “claiming to have a bomb” in one of Britain’s busiest train stations

A man has been detained under the Mental Health Act after “claiming to have a bomb” in one of Britain’s busiest train stations.

Armed police swooped to Charing Cross station during the morning rush hour in the heart of the city near Trafalgar Square.

The busy station was evacuated while causing travel chaos after officers including sniffer dog teams were called to the station’s Northern line stop at 6.34am.

Thousands of commuters suffered delays as Charing Cross station in the heart of the capital near Trafalgar Square was closed for about an hour.

Londoners branded the morning rush-hour bomb scare in the Tube “sad”.

Accountant Chris Wigmore, 54, said: “It isn’t right – it’s sad isn’t it, that we have those things in the world.

“It’s just one of those things – it’s life in London.”

Another commuter on his way to work said he was not angry over the delays, adding: “I would rather not be blown up to be honest.”

A shop keeper at Charing Cross Station, which has now reopened, claimed: “I heard that it was a disabled man who wasn’t very well at all.

“It’s sad.”

The British Transport Police tweeted: “A man claiming to have a bomb at Charing Cross station has now been arrested.

“We are now working to reopen the station as soon as possible would like to thank passengers and rail staff for their patience and understanding during this incident.”

They earlier said: “We are currently dealing with an incident at Charing Cross station following reports of a man on the tracks claiming to have a bomb.

“The station has been evacuated as a precaution and no services are currently stopping at the station. Please check with TfL before you travel

The Met Police tweeted: “Officers are currently assisting BTP at Charing Cross train station following a report of a man acting suspiciously.

“The station has been evacuated as a precaution and is currently closed.

They added in a later statement: “Met police officers assisted the British Transport Police this morning, Friday 22 June at 06:34 hours following a report of a man acting suspiciously.

“The station was evacuated as a precaution.

“No one was injured and the man has now been detained and arrested by British Transport Police officers.

“British Transport Police are leading and are working to reopen the station.”

The station has since reopened.

A 38-year-old man was arrested under the Mental Health Act, according to the British Transport Police.

A spokesperson confirmed the incident was not terror-related.


Since you’re here …

Real, independent, investigative journalism is in alarming decline. It costs a lot to produce. Many publications facing an uncertain future can no longer afford to fund it. This means journalists are losing the ability to hold the rich and powerful to account.

We do not charge or put articles behind a paywall. If you can, please show your appreciation for our free content by donating whatever you think is fair to help keep TLE growing.

Every penny we collect from donations supports vital investigative and independent journalism. You can also help us grow by inviting your friends to follow us on social media.

Donate Now Button

Leave a Reply