A man died after choking on a kebab in the toilets of his local pub.
Dai ‘Radar’ Rees, 51, was enjoying a night out with friends when he popped out to buy the snack at 9pm.
But he returned to the bar choking and ran to the toilet – where his friends later found him unconscious.
Freelance journalist John Adey, 68, was drinking with Mr Rees at The Lamb Inn in Cardigan, west Wales, at the time of the tragedy.
“He went to get a kebab and began coughing while eating it,” he said. “He went to the toilet and no one thought anything about it but he choked and died.
“It was very sad.”
He described Mr Rees, who lived alone in a flat in Cardigan, as a well-known character around the town.
Nicknamed ‘Radar’ because of his big ears, he leaves behind his mother, who also lives in the town.
Lamb Inn landlord Jamie Bowen, 43, met Mr Rees for 20 years ago. “He was a very nice person that was always willing to help,” he said.
Police say his death on Saturday September 9 is not being treated as suspicious.
A spokesman for Dyfed-Powys police said: “We received a report of a sudden death of a 51-year-old at the Lamb Inn public house, Cardigan, at 10.10pm on Saturday, September 9, 2017.
“Next of kin and HM Coroner are aware.”
His funeral was held at Bethania Baptist Chapel, Cardigan on Tuesday, September 19.
Since you’re here …
More worrying is the staggering decline in independent, investigative journalism. It costs a lot to produce, so many publications facing an uncertain future can no longer fund it.
With nobody to hold the rich and powerful to account, or report on the issues that don't fit with the mainstream 'narrative', your help is needed.
You can help support free, independent journalism for as little as 50p. Every penny we collect from donations supports vital investigative journalism.