Changing jobs, having a one-night stand and taking vitamins are all signs that you are going through a mid-life crisis.
A new study of 2,000 UK adults over the age of 40 has found that nearly forty per cent believe they have experienced some kind of life crisis, with stopping celebrating your birthday and even joining Facebook part of the signs that you have reached it.
The average mid-life crisis will cost Brits £7,712.39, with an urge to travel the most costly aspect setting respondents back an average of £1,471 each.
Olivia Hill, Chief HR Officer at AAT (The Association of Accounting Technicians), the organisation which commissioned the survey, said: “This study found that a huge proportion of the country has felt anxiety about the direction their life has taken.
“And one of the most common causes for a mid-life crisis is dissatisfaction in the workplace.
“At AAT we often see people who are studying with us have moved from a career they are not happy with, to make a positive change in their lives.
“Perhaps more people should consider a change of career not just to enhance their earning potential or improve their work/life balance, but to avoid the stresses and strains of a mid-life crisis.”
TOP 30 SIGNS OF A MID-LIFE CRISIS
1. Changing jobs
2. Noticed when politicians/policemen were younger than you
3. Broke up with partner
4. Had a one-night stand
5. Started taking vitamins
6. Went travelling
7. Moved house
8. Started flirting with people 20 years younger
9. Divorced spouse
10. Stopped celebrating my birthday
11. Revisited holiday destinations from when you were younger
12. Looked up an old partner on Facebook
13. Joined Facebook
14. Looked up ex-girlfriends/boyfriends on Facebook
15. Took up a new hobby
16. Joined a gym
17. Bought a sports car
18. Got a partner who was younger than the previous one
19. Started wearing clothes you thought made you look younger
20. Got a tattoo
21. Bought skinny jeans
22. Bought a motorbike
23. Started listening to “young people’s” music
24. Joined Twitter
25. Started using anti-aging products
26. Took your age off your Facebook profile
27. Dyed your hair
28. Bought an expensive bicycle
29. Stopped telling people your age
30. Ran a marathon