By Kerry Goldhawke, TLE Correspondent
A good cup of tea, boiling an egg to perfection and stumbling upon cash in the street have been revealed in a list of 50 things which ‘make our day’.
The research of 2,000 adults found that for many of us the simple pleasures in life can make the difference between having a good day or a bad one. Receiving a free gift, catching a smile from a good looking strangers and getting a thank you from your boss also ranked highly on the list, with the weather topping the chart in typical British fashion.
Unsurprisingly a cash injection was shown to put a smile on most people’s faces – as getting a tax rebate, winning on a scratch card and finding a fiver in an old coat were also in the list.
While food and drink was shown to ease the stress for many, who voted their day-makers as a morning coffee, a bar of chocolate and a glass of wine after a hard day.
Looking good is the key for one in four who said a new hair cut puts a spring in their step, while others cited wearing a new pair of shoes or finding they’ve lost weight. Romance was also proven as another key ingredient to a good day – as flirting with a good-looking stranger, being asked out on a date and even getting a Tinder match all made the top 50 list.
Sarah Loosemore, Customer Services Director of Interparcel said: “When we get caught up in stress of daily routine, a small gesture or surprise can make all the difference. The list is encouraging, as it proves our days are made by those reminders that life isn’t so bad.
“Anything from a ‘thank you’ to a compliment on what we’re wearing promotes a sense of wellbeing. Or sometimes just the sense that everything is going to plan is enough to keep us calm and content.”
The typical adult is happiest at around 2.30pm, the poll showed, and has an average of three ‘good days’ per week. When having a bad day, half said it’s their partner who tends to make them feel better with a third who said they rely on their kids to boost their mood.
So it’s unsurprising that 46 per cent said a petty argument with their partner can ruin their entire day – and have the same effect on their mood as torrential rain. Other ways the adults said a day can be ruined included spilling something down a clean shirt, running out of milk and missing a parcel delivery.
Despite the grumbly British reputation, a whopping seven in ten said they’d describe themselves as a person with a ‘glass-half’ full attitude.
Sarah Loosemore said, “There are some things we can’t control, but we can choose to look on the bright side.
“And when things go right unexpectedly, that’s an added bonus.”
Top 50 Things That Make Our Day
1. Waking up to a sunny morning
2. Fresh bed sheets
3. Getting unexpected post
4. Finding a fiver in an old coat pocket
5. Being paid
6. Random acts of kindness from strangers
7. Friendly customer service
8. Receiving a compliment
9. Booking a holiday or weekend away
10. Unexpected gift/card from partner
12. Finding you’ve lost a couple lbs in weight
13. Getting a tax rebate
14. A glass of wine after a long day
15. A morning cup of tea or coffee
16. Winning money on a scratch card
17. Having a new haircut
18. The rain stopping at just the right time
19. Cuddling your pet
20. A new episode of your favourite show
21. Finding something you need in the sale
22. Receiving a ‘Well done’ from your boss
23. Your favourite song coming on the car radio
24. New fluffy towels
25. No traffic on the way to work
26. Being offered free samples on the street
27. Nabbing a free parking spot
28. Flirting with an attractive stranger
29. Driving with the windows down
30. Splashing out on a nice dinner
31. Chatting on the phone with a friend
33. Getting an upgrade on a flight
34. Someone letting you out at a junction
35. Someone making you tea in the morning
36. Getting all your laundry done
37. Wearing sunglasses
38. Walking the dog
39. Wearing a favourite shirt/dress
40. Being tagged in a flattering photo
41. Wearing new shoes
42. Getting lots of likes on a Facebook post
43. Getting an answer on University Challenge
44. Being asked out on a date
45. Using the self-service tills with no problems
46. Having bragging rights because your football team won
47. Getting the best seat in a cinema
48. Cakes in the kitchen at work
49. Boiling an egg to perfection
50. Getting a Tinder match