Alan Partridge meeting a super-fan has been voted the best ever British comedy scene by over 100 professional comedians and actors including David Baddiel, Jenny Eclair, Reece Shearsmith and Alexei Sayle.
In addition to containing the best comedy scene, I’m Alan Partridge was named the second most popular sitcom among comedians – with Blackadder in third, The Office in fourth and Father Ted in fifth. Alan Partridge also overcame competition from Basil Fawlty, David Brent, Del Boy and The Young Ones’ Rick to be the named favourite male comedy character.
Comedy critic Bruce Dessau, who compiled the audit of comedians, said: “We are well-known across the world for our ‘British sense of humour’, which is shown at its best in many of our best-loved and timeless comedy classics.
“The art of comedy is almost impossible to define, but many of these characters, lines and sitcoms are brilliant examples of the very best in the history of British TV comedy.”
Top 10 Favourite Scenes From a British TV Comedy
1. Alan Partridge meets a super-fan who has a room dedicated to Alan Partridge (I’m Alan Partridge)
2. Tim and Dawn finally get together (The Office)
3. Basil Fawlty argues with the Germans, stressing “Don’t mention the war!” (Fawlty Towers)
4. “Don’t tell him Pike” scene with German prisoners. (Dad’s Army)
5. Del Boy falling through the bar (Only Fools and Horses)
6. Father Ted and the terrified priests stray into the lingerie department (Father Ted)
7. Mrs Richards complaining about her room to Basil Fawlty (Fawlty Towers)
8. The entrance of Lord Flashheart in Blackadder II (Blackadder)
9. Del Boy and Rodney running as Batman and Robin (Only Fools and Horses)
10. David Brent begging for his job as he gets fired (The Office)
The research was commissioned by TV channel Gold to celebrate the launch of its first full series of We Have Been Watching – which starts tonight (Wednesday 4th January) at 8pm.