The Club, starring and written by Ruaraidh Murray, comes to London’s Vaults Festival from 1st – 5th March after a hugely successful sell out and critically acclaimed Edinburgh Festival run last year, that premiered this new theatre production.
This dark and seedy comedy also stars Mark Farrelly, think Phoenix Nights meets the Sopranos, if that is even possible!
1) What’s the inspiration behind ‘The Club’?
The inspiration behind The Club was London’s legendary 90’s club, The Tardis. As they say, “if you were there you wouldn’t remember anyway.”
2) How long have you been doing Theatre for and what kick-started your drive for writing/performing?
I started writing my own shows by accident about six years ago. I wasn’t getting seen for any decent acting work so I wrote and performed my first solo show ‘Big Sean, Mikey and Me’ which did really well at Edfringe 2012. Since then, I’ve written two more solo shows, ‘Bath Time’ and ‘Boxman’ and two plays ‘Allie’ and of course ’The Club’ all which have had great success.
3) How dark does this dark comedy go?
The Club is a dark comedy which is definitely NOT for those who are easily offended.
4) Arguably London audiences are more discerning due to the sheer volume of shows they have on offer to them How do you feel that London audiences differ from other regions?
I love London audiences. They are right at the front of whats cutting edge.
5) What can people expect from The Club?
The Club is one night in London’s legendary 90s club The Tardis. Think Phoenix Nights meets The Sopranos.
6) If you could work with anyone on a theatre production who would it be and why?
If you could work with anyone on a theatre production it would have to be the actor Mark Farrelly who I’m about to work with again on The Club at VAULT Festival 2017. We had such a fantastic rollercoaster ride with The Club at Edfringe 2016, I can’t wait for us to perform in front of a London audience and see what they make of it.
The Club – Vaults Festival @The Cage – Wed 1st – 5th & Sat 4th & 5th March 2017 Click here for tickets