The concept album poses a special challenge for a recording artist. As well as great tunes a concept album needs a compelling narrative and complete harmony between tracks that is less emphasised on a standard release.
‘Dark Side Of The Moon’ by Pink Floyd is one of the more well-known, well-executed concept albums out there. The album holds a special place in music history and pop culture, making it the ideal subject for the first Concept Album Talks taking place this Tuesday.
The concept of the, er, Concept Album Talks is simple:
1. A concept album is chosen
2. Each track will form the subject of a talk
4. Each speaker will be limited to the running time of the track
5. Each speaker will have to give a talk that makes sense of the track title
6. They won’t be able to talk about the song directly, just the subject matter and subjects around the title.
With track titles including ‘Time’, ‘Money’ and ‘Brain Damage’ expect the talks to range from the philosophical to the absurd. More details of the event can be found here.